1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Cycling And Cramps

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Besty W, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Besty W

Besty W Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I’ve been T1D since Oct 2016, my control is good at present HBA1c is 6.2% constant since getting sugars under control after diagnosis.

I used to cycle for fun and fitness at the weekends but stopped after diagnosis, a few rides last year working out what happens with BSL and exercise, this year I’ve got it ripped and can manage a decent speed over 20+ miles without and hyper or hypos. All good then or so I thought, I’ve been having lots of cramps in my calves over the past week; I’ve drank plenty of water, had my breakfast/ lunch / dinner and gone out. My normal regime has been no nova rapid with food and cycle immediately after to prevent any highs, could this be causing the cramps?
    If i had any insulin at all with dinner I know from experience sugars crash dramatically during the ride so.
    I’ve questioned my dsn whom has stated exercise is individual and no one size fits all applies with T1D, just go trial by error.

Any advice on the cramps and preventing them would be superb, they’re spoiling a good ride!
    Thanks

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @betsy W,
    Type 1 from Oz, 51 years on insulin. It has been a few years since I was cycling but:
    1) if I exercised /cycled in the late afternoon evening I had to make sure I reduced my night-time basal insulin (Levemir) otherwise I was prone to hypos after midnight. Similarly my bsls tend to drop 6 + hours after I completed my exercise earlier in the daytime also, so if I had reduced or omitted my pre-lunch Novorapid for exercise I would ensure that my evening novorapid was reduced at least 20%.
    2) I would withhold exercise if my bsls at expected exercise time were 13 mmol/l or higher. It seems that the liver switches to generating glucose at and above that level ( the actual point is said to be 14 mmol/l but I use 13 mmol/l to allow for meter error) I have had very uncomfortable cramps, pain and nausea when I disobeyed this advice and had attempted to to exercise and 'burn off' the excess blood sugar and copped readings > 20 mmol/l into the bargain. I wait until my bsls in < 12 mmol/l before setting out)
    3) I was much less likely to get cramps if I took magnesium tablets the morning of the day of cycling. BUT I checked this with my doctor first. Magnesium tablets come in all sorts of combinations; Mg is short for magnesium and there is Mg sulphate ( Epsom salts, so not advised by anyone except for constipation !! !!), Mg orotate (but liver problems mentioned etc) So speak with your doctor as to what Mg supplement would be best to try and tablets vs powder etc.
    Enjoy the cycling !!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook