Cycling with Type 1

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
After many years of being away from cycling I've decided it's about time I got back on the road, and I will be out this Sunday with my local cycling club.
This will be my first time on a bike since being diagnosed with type 1 in March last year.
Doe's anyone have any tips and advice to help with managing my bg levels during and after the ride?
Thanks
John

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi John, it's probably worth saying a little about how you manage your diabetes, foods, what you are thinking of doing on the day, length of ride, any planned breaks, etc. It will make giving advice easier.

The absolute minimum you will get is make sure you have plenty of glucose tablets or drink with you!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just take things easy John and monitor your bg levels closely throughout the ride, as Tim says keep plenty of fast-acting glucose to hand, depending on the duration and intensity you will probably have to make adjustments to your insulin doses beforehand when you exercise.

There's a really good website that was set-up for people who have type 1 diabetes and enjoy sport, its called Runsweet so do take a look:

http://www.runsweet.com/

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I cycle to work everyday around 30 km's per day round trip and never have any issues with blood sugar. I do find my insulin sensitivity improves with cycling and i generally require less basal for a week of cycling. Over the xmas holidays I ran every day (I had 3 weeks off) around 10 km's and my insulin sensitivity was not nearly as good as cycling.

I've tried few 100 km rides and took my meter and lots of dextrose in case but I found it was not required but everyone is different.

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies...
It's a club social ride (they average 15mph), about 25-30 miles to a Cafe, then shorter direct route 20ish miles back.
Really looking forward to it, providing the weather is as forecasted.
Will take bg meter and insulin, and plenty of jelly babies etc., and energy drink.
Noblehead, thanks for the link, I will give that site a good look.
John

Bufger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt you'll need to take the insulin along!

I found cycling hard for the first time back, my BG levels dropped quickly and I overate on completion. Now i've read lots of material on sport and diabetes the prep for it is just as important. The advice given to me:

Test at home where possible (turbo trainer + monitoring diet before and after with constant testing).
Take jelly babies. I found 2 Jelly babies every 10 minutes of hard or cross country cycling kept me level. That with a banana and porridge for the meal before. I know this wont suit be for downhill though because the climbs are killer so i'll practice via resistance on turbo trainer before.

Hope that gives you an idea as to the planning I do! Make sure you have fast acting and slower release glucose with you as if you do get too low you'll need to use both to stabilise.