Type 1 D1 Forms/Driving

Has anyone had to complete a D1 form? If so how long roughly did it take. I have actually had my license cancelled and sent a D1 form about 2 weeks ago but I have not heard anything back from DVLA? I have tried calling them numerous times but can never get through. Getting worried now as a recent promotion at work means I will need my license more than ever!!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone had to complete a D1 form? If so how long roughly did it take. I have actually had my license cancelled and sent a D1 form about 2 weeks ago but I have not heard anything back from DVLA? I have tried calling them numerous times but can never get through. Getting worried now as a recent promotion at work means I will need my license more than ever!!

You might not get much out of DVLA at the present time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56647149

And do you mean form Diab1 ? (Sorry to be pedantic).

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You sure you’ve had you license cancelled and not just the large vehicle element which gets revoked as standard??

Have you used the online checker to double check your entitlement

They are normally quick responding to the initial fir but if the require medical checks it can take months

But unless you’ve had disabling hypos it’s unusual for them to cancel car entitlement

Then why was it cancelled?

I did not get back to them within the alloted time. It was the same year I was diagnosed and I will be honest I struggled to come to terms with my diagnosis and got lazy with things like this. However, now I am trying to get ontop of things like this and on the straight path when it comes to my Diabetes also

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I did not get back to them within the alloted time. It was the same year I was diagnosed and I will be honest I struggled to come to terms with my diagnosis and got lazy with things like this. However, now I am trying to get ontop of things like this and on the straight path when it comes to my Diabetes also

But you’ve passed a test and everything??

But you’ve passed a test and everything??

Yep. Passed my test in August 2017. Diagnosed April 2018 then got the letter to complete a DIAB1 form around June time but did not complete it. Was offered a promotion earlier this year which is due to start in May key thing being needed is my drivers license but when I checked it on the DVLA website it says I have no entitlement. I got in touch with them and they told me to complete a DIAB1 form. To play it safe I did a D1 form and a DIAB1 form. This was around 2 weeks ago and not heard anything from them. Now I understand they are striking, completely my own fault for leaving it this late

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ok, ill assume you passed you test.. its unfortunate you didn't respond back then, so your license will have been revoked, but you still have the 'qualification'

so it should just be a case of completing the forms, and hopefully they will just reissue a 3 year license, however they may decide to perform some for of medical (unusual) so the bad news on that from is it could take upto 3 months

the DVLA medical number is: 0300 790 6806 its normally easier to get through on this even if just to confirm that have had the forms, if not get a new set sent, send it special or recorded delivery just so you know they have actually received it.. a lot of post going missing

i hope you have now accepted your condition, and that you manage to get your life back on track

Yep. All just stepping stones. I have emailed them to check the status of my application but I may have to resend the forms for peace of mind. Thank you very much hoping this gets sorted soon.