D2 and D4 forms application, The story so far ....

vespa

Had my last medical examination by the DVLA consultant, he is quite happy with my reading nearly three weeks ago, I am just wondering how long it takes for the DVLA to approve of your application and issue with a new driving licence ?

I am also seeing my own consultant next month to determine my type. to date my blood sugar is still bouncing in the normal range.

vespa

Got my licence back ! :D :clap: :clap: the full spectrum all as per my previous driving licence before diagnosis, It came in the post today, my email enquiry musty have prompted them, the licence is only valid for 12 months then I start again unless I am re classed as Type 2.

I am seeing my consultant on Monday about that as to date I have not been injecting for 2 months and morning only in reducing doses during the previous 3 months prior to coming off it, the reading are remarkably stable to date.

vespa

Before I close this thread, I would like to thank everybody who has given me advice, encouragement and support. Its been a long road but I got there :wave: :D

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done Vespa!
Look after yourself so they have no excuse to take it off you.
You may find you are still in the honeymoon period, I managed over 18 before I went onto insulin but keep testing regularly - DVLA will still want a full history whether you are injecting or not.
Good luck, stay safe.
Angie

vespa

Thanks Angie for your advice and help.

I will be asking lots of question when I meet my Consultant on Monday, I will also be asking for a C-Peptide, GAD blood tests to determine my actual type, I think I was judged a little too quickly in 10 minute by a Hospital Consultant in a hospital bed while I still had a lot going on in my head and feeling ****, This time I have a lot more information to hand and a list of questions, a more assertive attitude to the whole thing. In fact I think the whole thing had changed me, I have become more active, watching what I am eating, I started to have this drive to learn new skills and create things, woodworking, bread making, cooking, I am now planing to learn how to do bricklaying when we reconstruct the back wall with more skills to learn in the pipeline.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with learning all these new skills....we should never stop learning.

Hope all goes well with the Consultant on Monday, do let us know how you get on.
If they do a GAD test it may take a couple of weeks for that result to come back (mine was 10 days) but it is worthwhile to prove once and for-all what you are dealing with. I refused to go onto insulin unless they tested me so I knew I wasn't going onto it unnecessarily as I didn't want the hassles with the licences for nothing. Fortunately I was feeling better than you were at that time so I was able to discuss such matters, a few days later it would have been a different matter mind you if I had not conceded and said yes to the insulin before the results came through as they said I would have been an emergency admission before they got the results back!

Regards
Angie

vespa

Hi Angie,
Spoke to the consultant today, based on Hba1c of 40 plus no insulin and good BG readings he has concluded that I am type 2 he doesn't think a GAD and c-pep is needed based on the evidence presented to him, he also says definitely not honeymooning either.

Quite an interesting discussion seems I was classed as type 1 initially as a safety measure before concluding which type I could be.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vespa,

Glad to hear the meeting went well. A re-diagnosis of type 2 will definitely make things easier where DVLA is concerned, they won't be so interested in you if you quit the insulin. Just a pain that you went through all of that for nothing in that case.
Just make sure you carry on testing so you can keep fit and healthy just in case things change in the future.

Stay safe
Regards
Angie

english

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I realise that this thread is quite an old one but i thought i'd add what i think is some good advise for those of you that inevitably get jerked around by the DVLA. Lost forms, duplicate forms, lost entitlements etc.

DVLA has a Ministerial Complaints Team.

Write to your MP with a full detailed and frank list of what's happened, what you sent and when you sent it. Send all forms recorded delivery and insist that your MP does something to help you out. Your MP ( based on my experience) has the power to get a total shambolic process instantly resolved within a week.

Kind regards to all,
andy

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with dvla---complete shower,just had my hgv revoked as i havnt been doing the 2 hour blood test while driving--ermmm dvla told me not to drive hgv,s last January until they had all the medical facts so how can i test every 2 hours when i havn,t been driving them for 6 months-total morons--its appeal time !!! Oh and by the way we have also taken your 3.5 tonne--7.5 tonne entitlement away as wellbut you can tow a caravan or trailer with your car though--mmmm my car is a 18ft Pickup and caravan is 27ft= 35ft long and guess what people its longer than an 8 wheeler and bends in the middle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm the same took my 7.5 ton and 3.5 ton classes including my bus shunters class that was 3 years ago got my car /car and trailer licence back.my car driving licence was due march 2016 the **** holes demanded my old licence December 2015 luckerly I havnt had a car for the past 3 years . thing is ive heard nothing its nearly march 2016 anyone know what happens next ? do I get my licence yes /no