DAFNE Course

jgibson1962

I've been offered a DAFNE course in November, but have recently started a new job. This job is a fantastic opportunity for me and as I will still be on my probation I don't want to upset the Apple cart so to speak. Is there an online DAFNE course available? or night school? My Diabetes has been playing havoc for some time and my Diabetes Nurse says I could benefit from the course.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also curious about the same thing, or even the ability to split it up into 1 day events over a month or two - I was offered a course when I moved onto basal-bolus some years back (mainly because I'd never been offered anything as far as I can remember - my control is fine though by no means perfect), but I really couldn't justify taking the time off (it was iirc a whole week, which I guess means 5 days), it would nonetheless be interesting to know what the current state of play is.

13h

I've been offered a DAFNE course in November, but have recently started a new job. This job is a fantastic opportunity for me and as I will still be on my probation I don't want to upset the Apple cart so to speak. Is there an online DAFNE course available? or night school? My Diabetes has been playing havoc for some time and my Diabetes Nurse says I could benefit from the course.
Hi count yourself lucky my diabetic nurses wouldn't allow me on my request , I wrote to my MP as it was available in neighbouring towns, but reply from head of nhs avoided answering saying thier is no cure in uk for type 1, turns out not enough funding or trained staff.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is an online version of DAFNE available - bertieonline. Whilst I have read good things about it, it misses the most valuable part of the course when I did it: interacting with others.
Diabetes is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act which means your employer must make reasonable adjustments including giving you time off for appointments and training.