Daily Mail article

Grazer

Have you all seen page 39 of today's (August 9th) Daily Mail? Well worth a read! You can probably read it on-line if you haven't got the paper. The page is headed [u]"Could the Atkins diet help you keep diabetes at bay?"[/u]Sub heading is, [u]"Diabetics are usually told to eat plenty of carbs, but now experts say this can make their illness worse"[/u]
What remarkable news for all of us eh? (Bit of sarcasm there)
Malc

Grazer

Know what you mean, but they do in a way by talking about the % of carbs that could come from your overall calorie intake. Main thing, however, is the general acknowledgement that lowering carbs is good. I don't think an article like this can say what a low carb diet IS, it's up to us all I guess to work out what is a "Not too many" level for ourselves. This will of course vary for each of us.
I'm on a reduced carb diet myself, I handle about 160 a day O.k so I'm comparitively lucky.
Good luck Catherine
Malc

Grazer

Daily Mail article on Diabetes

Hi all, I posted this on another part of the site but then thought I should have stuck it here! So apologies if I've already bothered you with this.
There was an article well worth reading if you haven't already in today's Daily Mail (August 9th) on page 39. You can probably get it on-line. It's headed "Could the Atkins diet help you keep diabetes at bay", and is sub-headed "diabetics are usually told to eat plenty of carbs, but now experts say this can make their illness worse" It's not news to any of us, but interesting that others seem to be accepting it, and apparently a degree of official approval is about.
Malc

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Notice the picture of the finger prick test - using the pad of the index finger :twisted:
No wonder they say, "don't test, save your fingers for when you go on insulin."

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's the thing - years ago, fat was blamed. There was NEVER any discussion about taking a "reduced fat" approach. It was "low fat", and "eat as little fat as possible".

Now that they've learned their lessons from giving that bad advice, they are being more cautious (rightly so) about demonising carbs completely.

Only problem with that is, there is more advice available thatn that being offered by the "professionals". Those of us willing experiment have found levels of carbs that work for us.

BIG problem for me is, terms like "reduced" and "moderate" mean different things to different people. They're hard to quantify.

C

catherinecherub

I personally think when some people see low fat they assume that you are eating low fat products. That is not the case with most of us, we limit the fats we eat and include mono fats like oils, fish, nuts, seeds and avocados.