Dangerous Advert

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the increase in diabetes a lot of which has not been diagnosed, the Lyles Golden syrup advert where the girl pits a massive amount on her porridge should surely not be allowed.

Reactions: filly

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the increase in diabetes a lot of which has not been diagnosed, the Lyles Golden syrup advert where the girl pits a massive amount on her porridge should surely not be allowed.

To be honest, I don't think that's too fair. Most of the population don't have diabetes.

If we start policing things like this, then I vote for pizzas to be banned, on the basis most T2s find them tricky and I have never liked them anyway. I don't think it's anyone's place to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat or the quantities. The nutritional information is on the tin, to help me to choose, and at over 80% sugar there will be few who don't know that should be a bit of a moderation thing.

My OH is a normie and can literally eat and drink whatever he chooses but sill has an A1c of 27 at last test. Why should he be limited by others' preferences.

(For the record, Golden Syrup was never something that attracted me, but if others like it, fair play.)

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I don't think that's too fair. Most of the population don't have diabetes.

If we start policing things like this, then I vote for pizzas to be banned, on the basis most T2s find them tricky and I have never liked them anyway. I don't think it's anyone's place to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat or the quantities. The nutritional information is on the tin, to help me to choose, and at over 80% sugar there will be few who don't know that should be a bit of a moderation thing.

My OH is a normie and can literally eat and drink whatever he chooses but sill has an A1c of 27 at last test. Why should he be limited by others' preferences.

(For the record, Golden Syrup was never something that attracted me, but if others like it, fair play.)
Not saying it should be banned, just the graphics in this particular ad.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An advert that children can see of an adult putting a tablespoon of what is essentially pure sugar on their porridge.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's pure and simple grooming, reeling in the kids, to add to the other sugar addicts.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Chips are bad for the stomach, alcohol is bad for the liver, sugar, even if it does not lead to diabetes, causes tooth decay, but many people like it and there is nothing wrong with it. Parents do not feed their children sugar all the time, and anyone realizes that a lot of sugar is not good for health, but we eat not only healthy food, and demand gives rise to supply.
If, for example, I can't have a milkshake doused with syrup and whipped cream and decorated with waffles, it doesn't mean that my non-diabetic friends shouldn't allow themselves to

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to eat such things as a kid but never considered myself a sugar addict.

Breakfast was weetabix with a crust of sugar on top.
We had puddings every day. It was often rice pudding which I never liked so I would stir in half a jar of jam.
I was allowed biscuits with my C-Vit (Ribena was too expensive) when I came back from school.

I have no insulin resistance. No one in my family has insulin resistance. No one is overweight. I am the only one with diabetes but it had nothing to do with my diet.

I do not consider an ad for Golden Syrup (which I use to make yummy flapjacks) is grooming children.
It is all about balance.

Helen40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a children's social worker I think we need to tread carefully using phrases like 'grooming children', and have we forgotten that responsibility for what our children eat lies with their carers? We all know McDonald's exist but I don't let my children have it every month. It's just a stupid advert, bad on the old teeth but again everyone makes their own choices ✌️

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sister-in-law visited recently and she came with a jar of refined Molasses, which she paid the earth for because she has been told it is healthier for her than honey or syrup. She has left it behind, and I am considering calling in the bomb squad to defuse it.

My S-I-L has no working knowledge of carbohydrates so is blisssfully ignorant of why I am reducing them, and as she has no diabetes, she has no interest in finding out. She is about to start yet another crash diet.

• Funny
Reactions: Helen40 and ElenaP

Beating-My-Betes

I am sure someone could/has written a self-help book about it thought!
Haha, yeah! Also this...

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.29.30.png

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was my view on it.
thats a bit of a jump isnt it??

in moderation for a 'healthy' individual no food is bad for people. we are more aware of the affect things like golden syrup has on our bodies and moderate our intake accordingly but to call out an advert for a syrup as grooming is a bit daily mail headline!

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My sister-in-law visited recently and she came with a jar of refined Molasses, which she paid the earth for because she has been told it is healthier for her than honey or syrup. She has left it behind, and I am considering calling in the bomb squad to defuse it.

My S-I-L has no working knowledge of carbohydrates so is blisssfully ignorant of why I am reducing them, and as she has no diabetes, she has no interest in finding out. She is about to start yet another crash diet.
My sister is the same, blissfully ignorant! She doesn't seem to see the problem in having half a bottle of wine nearly every night, the sugars are immense. She is pre diabetic but "its not a problem" to her! Diabetes is my problem apparently :eek: That's why I am in 5s during the day and I expect her readings are off the chart.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thats a bit of a jump isnt it??

in moderation for a 'healthy' individual no food is bad for people. we are more aware of the affect things like golden syrup has on our bodies and moderate our intake accordingly but to call out an advert for a syrup as grooming is a bit daily mail headline!
perhaps Seducing might be a more appropriate term. Get them while they are young. i don;t like happy cows with bulging udders on my butter thank you very much. The cocopops kids were also an anathema to me. If it has cartoon characters then its got sugar. At least golden syrup is not going down that path, but it does find its way into some of those products such as breakfast cereals