Dapagliflozin

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I had an appointment yesterday with my diabetic nurse and because my recent HBa1c was 7.5% she has suggested that I start on Dapagliflozin so she gave me a sheet to read and I now have to make a decision.

I recently posted that I intend to come off most of my medication in the future by continued weight loss and low carbing but I know this will not happen overnight and will take time but in the meantime, I guess I need to get help in lowering my BS levels. My next diabetic review is in Feb and I asked her if I could wait until then but she advises not to.

Does anyone else take this medication and what are your thoughts on it? thanks

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its an SGLT2 inhibitors and does not give a risk of a hypo on its own.
The main risk is dehydration, and as "low carb" can also lead to dehydration you must drink lots of water and check you are getting enough salt.

Personally, I consider SGLT2 inhibitors to be the best 2nd line drug (after Metformin as 1st line) as they remove the glucose from the body and hence reduce how much insulin your body needs to make.

As you have not yet got your diabetes under control with low carb, it is reasonable for the diabetic nurse to assume you will not do so. Therefore prove he/she wrong by keeping to something like "A New Atkins for a New You" remaining in the induction phase until your 2hr post meal BG are always under 7. Dapagliflozin will make this a little easier.

If possible get the nurse to record in your medical records that you are going to do a low carb diet like Atkins.

Reactions: carina62