Just back from my diabetic review and the diabetic nurse, one I haven't seen before, asked me why I was on insulin! She said I didn't appear to have the markers that would lead to prescription in the UK - I was put on it in 2020 in Peru to get my blood sugars down for surgery, and been on it since - and, despite annual reviews in the UK since 2021 which never mentioned this she wants to wean me off insulin! My age (73) is a major factor, according to her, and she feels that gradually reducing my insulin and starting me on Dapagliflozin, which apparently makes you pee out excess sugar, and so also aids weight loss (??).
I avoid obvious carbs wherever possible (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes - and have used sweeteners, currently Bolivian Stevia, for years) but do eat a lot of fruit (but now I have to cut back on!), which of course means fructose, and though my cholesterol levels are not that high, I have also been told to reduce my cheese eating - nuts and/or cheese are my preferred snacks instead of sweets, crisps, etc. My HbA1c is down to 65, which she was reasonably happy with.
We had a discussion about the Libre 2 sensors, as I am convinced that 4 of the past 5 (one fell off within 12 hours, but included in the count!) have been faulty, with 2 reading excessively high, and 2 excessively low - I am now showing 22 "lows" in the past 90 days from just 2 sensors (first and last of the 4), and am 100% certain I have never had a hypo! She said she has heard a lot of complaints about the accuracy of the sensors, but no decision has yet been made to consider changing! My current average blood glucose on the meter is 6.0 over the last 7 days, which I know is b*llocks!
Just wondered if any Type 2's on insulin, have had similar review experiences?
Hi, I’m type 2 on insulin. I’m interested in two areas of your letter. Firstly I was put on Dapagliflozin a while ago then taken off due to my having previously had several UTIs. One area of the warning for this medication was regarding a possible flesh eating disease occurring. I was rather alarmed about that. I do sometimes wish I had been kept on it though because it apparently protects the kidneys.Just back from my diabetic review and the diabetic nurse, one I haven't seen before, asked me why I was on insulin! She said I didn't appear to have the markers that would lead to prescription in the UK - I was put on it in 2020 in Peru to get my blood sugars down for surgery, and been on it since - and, despite annual reviews in the UK since 2021 which never mentioned this she wants to wean me off insulin! My age (73) is a major factor, according to her, and she feels that gradually reducing my insulin and starting me on Dapagliflozin, which apparently makes you pee out excess sugar, and so also aids weight loss (??).
I avoid obvious carbs wherever possible (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes - and have used sweeteners, currently Bolivian Stevia, for years) but do eat a lot of fruit (but now I have to cut back on!), which of course means fructose, and though my cholesterol levels are not that high, I have also been told to reduce my cheese eating - nuts and/or cheese are my preferred snacks instead of sweets, crisps, etc. My HbA1c is down to 65, which she was reasonably happy with.
We had a discussion about the Libre 2 sensors, as I am convinced that 4 of the past 5 (one fell off within 12 hours, but included in the count!) have been faulty, with 2 reading excessively high, and 2 excessively low - I am now showing 22 "lows" in the past 90 days from just 2 sensors (first and last of the 4), and am 100% certain I have never had a hypo! She said she has heard a lot of complaints about the accuracy of the sensors, but no decision has yet been made to consider changing! My current average blood glucose on the meter is 6.0 over the last 7 days, which I know is b*llocks!
Just wondered if any Type 2's on insulin, have had similar review experiences?
Thanks for the response - Dapagliflozin seems to be used a lot to prevent/combat heart failure and kidney disease, neither of which I have ever had problems with (I have a full body CT scan every 3 months - next one on September 2 - as they are monitoring me for cancer metastasis), and other than age related minor issues (none with heart or kidneys!) mine are clear, so was surprised this DN proposed such drastic changes to my regime. I actually saw a GP a month ago, supposedly as part of my review process, and he seemed happy with everything! I have a friend who was put on Dapagliflozin for heart problems (he actually had cardiac arrest, and was kept alive by someone who happened to be there and used CPR guided by a YouTube video!) and he complained of side effects, and says not to rely on it for weight loss!Hi, I’m type 2 on insulin.
I see you are in Eswatini, so can imagine healthcare costs can be high. I visited Manzini many years ago as my (then) father-in-law was head of Coca Cola. Lovely country.Good day. I’ve been on Dapagliflozin 10 mg for a year now, and besides the expense (as it is pricey), I am happy with it, as it reduced my Metformin from 500 mg twice a day to just once a day. I don’t recall any side effects and likely experienced an improvement, seeing that I reduced the Metformin.
Wow, I’ve been on this forum for 2 years now, and you’re the first person who knows my country and even visited my home town (Manzini) where I grew-up. I am honoured. Not many people know about our beautiful, small Kingdom, nestled between South Africa and the southern pit of Mozambique.I see you are in Eswatini, so can imagine healthcare costs can be high. I visited Manzini many years ago
This is truly awesome news. Congratulations. Have you experienced any side effects? I have read that it increases urination and can cause bladder infections in a small percentage of people.. I have been on Dapagliflozin for 18 days now, and have reduced my daily insulin from 50 units to 10!
I am now completely insulin-free (so maybe I am in the wrong forum!), and my blood sugars are much lower and more stabilised, and I have been "in-range" 100% the past 7 days. Yes, I do drink more water, and have to pee more than usual, and it is usually an instant need rather than being able to think about it! No other noticeable side effects, so am quite pleased with the results so far.This is truly awesome news. Congratulations. Have you experienced any side effects? I have read that it increases urination and can cause bladder infections in a small percentage of people.
Personally, in support of my kidney health, I consume as much water as I can every day, which results in frequent urination, so I cannot link it to Dapagliflozin, and likewise, I believe that my water intake reduces my risk of a bladder infection. So personally, I do not recall any side effect it has had on me.
I have always drunk a lot of water, other than coffee I do not drink anything else, and at my age the bladder is not so forgiving as it used to be anyway, but what I do find now is that if I stand up - I have to wee - and if I am sitting and feel the need, it is an urgent need. Generally an hour is the longest I can manage, when not asleep, without having to go! Remains to be seen how I will cope on a longer journey.I have just had this added to my medication. I can wee for England so I don't think I will notice the difference
Going on holiday in a month. A 4 hour car journey. Thats going to be at least 2 stopsI have always drunk a lot of water, other than coffee I do not drink anything else, and at my age the bladder is not so forgiving as it used to be anyway, but what I do find now is that if I stand up - I have to wee - and if I am sitting and feel the need, it is an urgent need. Generally an hour is the longest I can manage, when not asleep, without having to go! Remains to be seen how I will cope on a longer journey.
Wow, that’s me to a T. I am only 57 and have been worried about it getting worse the older I get.if I stand up - I have to wee - and if I am sitting and feel the need, it is an urgent need.
It seems like we all have to plan ahead. I usually drink as much as I can in the morning after brushing my teeth, but when I need to travel far, I drink a small cup at most.A 4 hour car journey.
Washed my hands at least twice since apple - Dapagliflozin makes me pee a lot!! Just checked now - CGM 6.5, slowly rising, Fingerprick 8.4, which is acceptable variance. Sensor change due on Sunday morning so will see how it goes.Did you wash your hands first? Could sugars from the apple still have been on your fingers?
How reap was that banana? I avoid bananas from both a sugar and kidney perspective.cheese omelette, banana sliced in Greek yoghurt, and a glass of milk
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?