Dario

Jayden2407

Hi does anyone have the Dario set up with their smart phone? It sounds great but my son was only diagnosed type 1 4 weeks ago so I don’t know if I’m jumping the gun a bit and stay with his Accu-expert meter or get him one of these?!
IMG_6297.jpg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Personally I think you have one of the best meters on the market - I am a bit biased as I use the expert myself.
I had a peek at the website for the Dario....it doesn't give the prices for the test strips or lancets! You probably will not get them on prescription either - sorry to be a killjoy. It could get expensive for you! How many times a day is Jayden testing at the moment?

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

@porl69 so using the same meter as Jayden you are pricking your finger the same too? I keep reading up on all these different meters and thinking maybe it’s going to be easier for him using one with his smart phone? There are so many different ones!
I researched the Dario and found the supplies on amazon - not bad prices but I suppose over the long run it would be expensive.

Jayden tests before each meal then before bed. His reading were perfect for a good few days last week as I found giving him 50-60g of carbs each meal and covering with the correct insulin is working great for his levels but when he went to his dads over the weekend his dad gave him over 80g at a bbq, Jayden felt sick and didn’t eat all the meal. I told his dad to make up the carbs with something sweet so he gave him ice cream. His levels were 14.9 & 14.5 before bed then I tested again twice in the night, last one at 4:45am and it was still 10.8 pre breakfast.
So on a good week from day to day when he’s at home with me it’s just usually 4-5 times but I test more when they are high.

Attachments

• IMG_6299.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
£30 for a box of 50 test strips

I use the Freestyle Libre along side the Expert. I only test before food (to bolus) or if my Libre is showing High or Lo. I have different ratios for food during the day/evening and would struggle with out it lol.
I find the Fastclix finger pricker brilliant. An when I get put on the pump I will be using the Fastclix with that as well.
Fingers crossed someone will come along who uses the Dario system and advise you on how it is

Jayden2407

£30 for a box of 50 test strips

I use the Freestyle Libre along side the Expert. I only test before food (to bolus) or if my Libre is showing High or Lo. I have different ratios for food during the day/evening and would struggle with out it lol.
I find the Fastclix finger pricker brilliant. An when I get put on the pump I will be using the Fastclix with that as well.
Fingers crossed someone will come along who uses the Dario system and advise you on how it is

Can you use the Expert, Freestyle Libre and the pump all together? Sorry if I sound dense! I will read up on the Libre, is it self funded? That’s the one that sticks on your arm at the back isn’t it? And you scan using your phone?

I have asked Jaydens DN about the pump but we haven’t discussed it yet.

Yes Jayden doesn’t mind using the Fastclix but it’s all he knows yet. I suppose I’ll just stick to what he’s using for the time being until he gets a bit older and we can look in to it together.
Thanks @porl69 :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yes the Libre is stuck onto your arm for 14 days and can scan with either your phone or the reader taht comes with it. I use my phone which uploads the results straight away to the Diasend website, which my diabetes time use to monitor my progress. The Libre is brilliant for some and not so good for others. It is VERY accurate for me 90% of the time, can be a bit out when Lo or High so I do test with the Expert in those cases. I am lucky and get it on prescription.
As soon as I am on the pump I will be using the meter that comes with it so the Expert will then become redundant and used as a back up. The Libre will benefit me for pump use as it will enable me to see how my basal is acting and adjust as necessary. I have been injecting now for 46 years. the only draw back I can see with the pump is being attached to something 24/7 BUT after thousands of injections I don't really mind that :)