Dawn phenomena

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
Is there anything that works for the Dawn phenomenon it's crazy I am up to 13 and I wake up on 6.9 but by the time an hour or 30 mins has gone my bg shoots up and my diabetes nurse just says oh well there's nothing you can do aagghh

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to take a small insulin dose as soon as I wake. Calculated on what my eating or exercise plan is.
But I will always need something to fight dp, even if going out for a run.
Probably not what a nurse may advise you though!

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
I tend to take a small insulin dose as soon as I wake. Calculated on what my eating or exercise plan is.
But I will always need something to fight dp, even if going out for a run.
Probably not what a nurse may advise you though!
She just said to take extra 1 unit once I get up but i have a half pen so I have tried 1/2 unit but I just go over 11. Think I am just frustrated

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Mine starts at around 3 am according to my cgm , by the time I wake up at about 6am it often reads 11 and then after I've injected my 6 units of Novo rapid will drop to about 8 just before I eat my 20 carbs for breakfast were it then stays until I do my daily walk of about 2 miles were it is not unusual for it to go up to 13 then drops back to about 5 a couple of hours later , it does this without fail every day ,I have tried extra Basel , different injection times , more Bolus but I have now given up trying and think I will just have to live with it .

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to sleep with a stable 7mmol.
Woke at 6am with 8mmol, cgm showing a steady rise since 3am.
Banged a quick 4units of fiasp (no plans to eat).
2 coffees, whilst getting ready etc
7.30 and bs had started to rise again. I'm now getting ready to cycle to work (14miles 50mins)
Took 5 more units fiasp before leaving. Still no food.
An hour later at work, cgm had peaked at 14, now showing 8 and steady fall.
Fairly typical start for me, although basal could perhaps be tweaked up another 0.5.
aa87b8a04c2dfe009985cb2e841c2163.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smiler Like others I inject on waking to control DP, even to go and swim 70 lengths. I don’t eat breakfast til I get home and then inject for the food. 10 carbs worth only. My body does not cope with too many carbs before 2pm.
Your diabetes nurse is incorrect of course. DP is one of the biggest reasons people end up on pumps. For myself I don’t fancy a pump.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think I have been suffering from DP for decades and it has only now shown itself since I have been using a cgm for the last 3 months , I used to wake up with a bg of 12 - 14 and think oh no I better give myself an extra dose of Novo rapid and then end up going low a couple of hours later , now I just leave it and watch it drop back to normal in front of my eyes and I will say I have never felt better .