Dawn phenomenon and how to combat it

TypeZero.

So at the moment I use Lantus and NovoRapid and I have a pretty pronounced dawn effect. I’m thinking about ways to suppress the dawn effect. My initial thought was changing my Lantus to a different basal that has a bit more of a peak and then coincide that peak with the rise of my blood sugar.

Has anyone tried doing this?

IMG_1339.jpg

As you can see from 1am my BG rises from about 5.8-5.9 to 8.5-9. I wake around 6am but that means I go high for some time. I was wondering if it is advisable to switch to an insulin that peaks.

How do you guys counter your dawn phenomenon?

TypeZero.

We are all different but the rise you are seeing does not look to em like a typical Dawn Phenomenon. DP usually starts much later (around 4am) and rises steeper.
In your position, I would review when you last ate and when you take your basal.
For example, Lantus typically lasts 22 hours. I recommend taking a look at the Lantus profile - it is not flat, for many it lasts less than 24 hours and has a small peak. This may explain your night time blood sugars.
If you are concerned (I would not be concerned, especially after 3 months whilst still in honeymoon), talk to your diabetes team. You should be able to call/email your DSN if they are any good.

I’ve got an idea but I don’t know if it will work, will have to consult my DSN.

My lowest blood sugars are during midday I don’t know if that is because I’m more insulin sensitive or because of my Lantus kicking in (I inject at 6am), I’m thinking what if I change the time I take my Lantus so that it finishes during middday when I am the lowest