Dawn phenomenon?

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone! I am currently experiencing the fun of steroid induced diabetes so I'm very new to everything. Doctors haven't been very helpful as they're seeing it as a side-effect rather than something which needs its own attention. I would like to try my best to get my blood sugars under control while I'm still on the steroids so that hopefully I have a better chance of the diabetes being temporary.

When I first went on the steroids 6 weeks ago I was experiencing fasting highs of 17/18 and post-food readings as high as the late 20s, which was quite scary. I was out on a lowish dose of metformin (500mg x twice a day) and was given no advice whatsoever. I've done lots of research and have changed my diet radically. I'm now getting readings within the 5-10 range, with pre-meal readings between 5-6 and post-meal 7-10, but mostly under 9. I'm really chuffed with my progress but I still can't get my morning fasting readings below 6.7, any advice?

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mcdougal
I'm steroid induced, and there are a few differences from the usual pattern for Type 2s. When the diabetes kicked in 2 years ago my morning readings were similar to yours, in the 6-7 range. After 2 years low carbing I am now usually in the low 5s. So I would say keep going, it will go down.

One thing to watch for though is the later readings during the day. I'm on the enteric coated steroids which take a bit of time to act, and the effect on blood sugar levels seems to be a direct effect. Whatever I eat my evening reading is always on the high side (9-10), although this has got better as my prednisolone dose has reduced. My first post on here was asking about that , and I was very worried by someone telling me that I had to get my post evening meal level down to within 2 of where I started. I think that non-steroid users don't realise that the drug has such an effect. Good luck.

Margaret

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi mcdougal
I'm steroid induced, and there are a few differences from the usual pattern for Type 2s. When the diabetes kicked in 2 years ago my morning readings were similar to yours, in the 6-7 range. After 2 years low carbing I am now usually in the low 5s. So I would say keep going, it will go down.

One thing to watch for though is the later readings during the day. I'm on the enteric coated steroids which take a bit of time to act, and the effect on blood sugar levels seems to be a direct effect. Whatever I eat my evening reading is always on the high side (9-10), although this has got better as my prednisolone dose has reduced. My first post on here was asking about that , and I was very worried by someone telling me that I had to get my post evening meal level down to within 2 of where I started. I think that non-steroid users don't realise that the drug has such an effect. Good luck.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret this is really helpful. I have notice spikes in the afternoon regardless of what I eat or what exercise I've done. The spikes are definitely caused by the steroids because often they go down even after eating. They are pretty awful drugs aren't they? I never knew diabetes could be a side effect.