palm_tree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having issues with Dawn Phenomenon. I’m on basal/bolus regimen and split basal (Levemir) am and pm. I’m waking up to test at 5 or 6am and I’m around 7mmol/ml. When I get to Breakfast time it’s up to 12 or 13. I have tried increasing pm Levemir dose from 28 to 30, 32, 36 and now 40 units but I’m still getting high readings before breakfast. Once I get it down to between 5 and 7 with Apidra I’m ok for the rest of the day. I can’t keep increasing the pm basal, can I? My total daily dose of insulin is now about 140 units. I’m trying low carb to reduce my mealtime bolus dose but it’s not having any effect on the fasting sugar level. Help!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Having issues with Dawn Phenomenon. I’m on basal/bolus regimen and split basal (Levemir) am and pm. I’m waking up to test at 5 or 6am and I’m around 7mmol/ml. When I get to Breakfast time it’s up to 12 or 13. I have tried increasing pm Levemir dose from 28 to 30, 32, 36 and now 40 units but I’m still getting high readings before breakfast. Once I get it down to between 5 and 7 with Apidra I’m ok for the rest of the day. I can’t keep increasing the pm basal, can I? My total daily dose of insulin is now about 140 units. I’m trying low carb to reduce my mealtime bolus dose but it’s not having any effect on the fasting sugar level. Help!

I think @donnellysdogs takes bolus at yikes o'clock in the morning to head dawn phenomenon off at the pass....
She might be able to assist you further?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @palm_tree - if you're waking up at 5 or 6am to test, you could do a correction shot there (many people do or have had to), but this kind of reaction is exactly why a pump can be offered.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing