Dawn phenomenon

azizdhl

Hi guys
I'm new to basal and bouls insulin after being 18 years on insulatard and actrapid.

1. Just I want to know if the dawn phenomenon is a must for all diabetics? Even the one who doesn't have it will he face it at least once from time to time?

2. Let's say someone with 40kg weight and taking 10 units if Lantus. If he increases his weight to 45 or 50 will he also need to increase his Lantus does?

3. What about bouls insulin, does weight increases affects my carbs ratio?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Pretty much everyone experiences dawn phenomenon.
If you have a healthy pancreas, it will react to the glucose from your liver by increasing insulin.
As far as I understand, different people experience dawn phenomenon more than others but I am not aware of logic behind who experiences it most.
With an unhealthy pancreas (with diabetes), those with a pronounced dp will see a morning rise.
For others this may be imperceptible.

Regarding weight and insulin requirements, there are some guidelines but these are just “guidelines”. The only way of working out what your insulin needs are is lots of testing, trial and error. This may change throughout your life. This may be due to weight gain or loss, change of metabolic weight, change of lifestyle, ...

Reactions: Guzzler

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told we get the Dawn phenomenon because it links back to our cave men (and women lol) ancestors who woke early to go hunting or foraging, and they woke up at Dawn to do this, evolution played it's part and the body found that releasing glucose energy at the same time gave us an energy boost for this.

Every Human gets Dawn Phenomenon, even none diabetics.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi guys
I'm new to basal and bouls insulin after being 18 years on insulatard and actrapid.

1. Just I want to know if the dawn phenomenon is a must for all diabetics? Even the one who doesn't have it will he face it at least once from time to time?

2. Let's say someone with 40kg weight and taking 10 units if Lantus. If he increases his weight to 45 or 50 will he also need to increase his Lantus does?

3. What about bouls insulin, does weight increases affects my carbs ratio?
In my limited experience, 1 year, I haven't been able to do anything to lessen the liver dump, it just happens. I know when it's happening because I get a massive but massive hot flush.:arghh:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In my limited experience, 1 year, I haven't been able to do anything to lessen the liver dump, it just happens. I know when it's happening because I get a massive but massive hot flush.:arghh:
You could try a liver block. A fatty protein before bed. It works for me....When I remember to do it or not on 800cals diet.