Day One On Metformin

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, That's day one on Metformin.....no side effects yet.....except HUNGER, been starving hungry all day, is this normal ?.....Del.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i believe met to be a hunger suppressant, :think:

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andy, Probably just a coincidence then, but still hungry after evening meal.....most unusual..........Del.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im no expert del, but maybe its on your mind, i know its possible to be hungrier as soon as a new diet is started because you tend to be thinking about the diet and therefore food, maybe you was looking for a sympton and therefore concentrating on your stomach, this may well be nuts, just a thought

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
id say like any meds, you may have to give it some time to get into your system to be able to tell how its going, but day 1 with no effects is a good start :thumbup:

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day two, no side effects, still feeling hungry though........Del.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
glad your getting no ill effects mate, what type of diet are you eating?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andy, To be honest, I'm just sorting out my diet, to be honest I have not really stuck to a healthy diet since being told that I was ''borderline''.......being put on medication yesterday was a bit of a shock so now taking it very seriously.......Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing Andy, Is Canderel o.k to use ?.......some say yes , others say no........should have asked nurse........Del.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
dont worry, its alot to take in and all needs a bit of research but its good your here asking questions there are many nice folks here that can help and many more good threads to have a look through, your chosen diet will have much more effect on your blood sugars than medication, do you self test your blood? this is very important especially at first so you can test what foods do what to you, id suggest you write down everything you eat starting from now, so when your ready to decide how you want to eat, you can see where your going, right or wrong, but hey its a mine field so you will have to research it here, if you do decide to try and control things with diet as well as your new meds id have a look at low carb threads but thats just my personal choice, there are many routes you can take or none, its all up to you :) being hungry isnt good though as it will make you snack, probly on the wrong things and that may undo whatever the tablets have done.

best of luck

canderel? its better than sugar hehe, where are you using it? in tea or coffee? i dont take it in my drinks but these days i mostly drink flavoured green teas, but if i had to choose a prefered sweetner it would be splenda, as i use it alot in baking etc, but im sure many would say sweetners in general are bad, ive read it encourages us to keep our sweet tooth rather than break the sweet habit, hopefully someone who knows more about sweetners will happen along :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh and "should have asked the nurse" isnt a good plan in my experience, unless your lucky they dont know their a**** from their elbows

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.K Andy thanks, if I can tear myself away from my family tree research for a while, I will print off some diet sheets.......my D.N. had run out of them...........Del.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Del 80 said:
O.K Andy thanks, if I can tear myself away from my family tree research for a while, I will print off some diet sheets.......my D.N. had run out of them...........Del.

please be careful mate, most dn`s follow the party line and dont always give very good dietary advice, im sorry im sceptical i could be wrong, im just going by my own experiences, the nhs advice is to eat lots of carbs, which as carbs are effectively sugar, that dosent make alot of sense (my opinion) your dn could be terrific, im assuming alot, sorry if they are