Dealing with hypo indecision

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
after having a small hypo at the train station (probably from dragging my suitcase a while in this hot weather!) I started thinking about how difficult it can be to make a decision during a hypo and wondering how people cope!

I'll start - if I'm out an about and having a hypo, I always struggle to decide what to prioritise and what good would be best , so have given myself guidelines that I will either get fruit juice or a carton of juice as the first thing to treat!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I always have jelly babies in my handbag so indecision removed when out.

When I am at home I stand in the kitchen dithering even though surrounded by potential treatments!

D

Deleted Account

The way I treat my hypos is the same each time: Glucotabs.
However, inability to make a decision is one of my hypo warning signs.
Although sometimes I can't even decide whether my indecision is diabetes related or not :)

gymbob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh at night, when I wake up. Am I hypo? Is it worth disturbing myself to do a test to find out? Half an hour or so later I tst, and am always hypo, because it's the only reason I ever wake up at night (unless my son wakes me with a nosebleed!)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often times have difficulty functioning and making good decisions when I get low. I almost always recognize it when I'm awake and I have my own method of preventing it during sleep, which virtually always prevents it. Never used Glucotabs, hard candies (Lifesavers) and apple juice works fine.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@gymbob . I have to ask. Does your son have the nosebleed or does he give you a nosebleed?
Got a mental picture of him giving you a whack in the middle of the night!!!!!!:blackeye::blackeye:

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I am a reactive hypoglycemic W/O diabetes. I tried having a piece of hard candy to suck on ( which as I've heard helps many diabetics) and it only makes things worse. If I drink OJ, on the offchance that there isn't much sugar in it, the acidity in it makes my skin itchy and have a burning sensation. ( does anyone with diabetes have this issue?)
What I have started to do, is to just keep snacks on me, an orange, pear, some nuts, maybe some peanut butter crackers, all usually help me within thirty minutes or so during a huge drop or even minor drops.

Johnr57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Happy shopper glucose (still full strength glucose at 18g/100ml and 50p per 380ml!) and then a tunnocks caramel wafer - lush !

stacyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My decision making is awful when hypo! My OH always remembers coming home from work (after a night shift) to find me bumbling about in bed attempting to breastfeed our eldest daughter. Apparently to me at the time getting her fed to stop the crying was more important than dealing with the hypo, crazy!!! He quickly took her off me & sorted me out, then dealt with the screaming baby! I have no recollection of any of this!!!

Reactions: isjoberg