Dealing with illness

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Six weeks into my diagnosis and my new diet and exercise are helping to reduce my BG numbers. I usually see 6.0 to 6.4 fasting reading in the morning and rarely above 7.8 during the day. I'm hoping the fasting readings will come down with time and perseverance.
I was ill with a nasty tummy bug last night and read 8.8 first thing falling to 8.2 early this afternoon. Question: Should I just accept that illness drives the numbers up temporarily or is there something I can do to minimise the spike, please?

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Six weeks into my diagnosis and my new diet and exercise are helping to reduce my BG numbers. I usually see 6.0 to 6.4 fasting reading in the morning and rarely above 7.8 during the day. I'm hoping the fasting readings will come down with time and perseverance.
I was ill with a nasty tummy bug last night and read 8.8 first thing falling to 8.2 early this afternoon. Question: Should I just accept that illness drives the numbers up temporarily or is there something I can do to minimise the spike, please?
Just focus on getting better and keep up the fluids. If you were on insulin or similar you would have guidance on 'sickness rules' to adjust the meds. Hope you feel better soon.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just focus on getting better and keep up the fluids. If you were on insulin or similar you would have guidance on 'sickness rules' to adjust the meds. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks Fruitella. I'm feeling better already, but those pesky BS numbers remain high.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dexterdobe, please monitor your BS more during a sickness and high BS number can delay your healing. Get well soon.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Gabrielle Tai. I've just got a reading of 7.7, so things are moving in the right direction

Reactions: Alison Campbell