Decaf Green Tea: Good, Bad or Ugly?

PiersAaron

I am considering inclusion of Decaf green tea as a daily beverage. Currently, I drink 4 or 5 cups of decaf coffee between wakeup and noon as I am IF. The decaf coffee helps to keep me from thinking about food before noon ( when my IF usually ends). I intend to replace some of the decaf coffee with decaf green tea.

My understanding is that the decaf process reduces some of the green tea health benefits. I am looking for any and all experiences, opinions, and data on decaf green tea. Including recommendations as to brand, etc. Just be aware that I am in the US. Thus, likely vendor will be Aldi, Lidl, Trader Joe's or Amazon.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also look at the process of decafinating.
For black tea, (I don't know about green tea) most brands use a process which leaves residual amounts of methylene chloride which is associated with cancer.
Clipper tea uses a different process ... but is more expensive than others.

Have you considered herbal teas? There are so many to chose from that it is pretty hard to say you don't like herbal tea. They are supposed to have various health benefits although I just drink them because I like the taste and want to minimise my caffeine consumption.

Reactions: PiersAaron

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am considering inclusion of Decaf green tea as a daily beverage. Currently, I drink 4 or 5 cups of decaf coffee between wakeup and noon as I am IF. The decaf coffee helps to keep me from thinking about food before noon ( when my IF usually ends). I intend to replace some of the decaf coffee with decaf green tea.

My understanding is that the decaf process reduces some of the green tea health benefits. I am looking for any and all experiences, opinions, and data on decaf green tea. Including recommendations as to brand, etc. Just be aware that I am in the US. Thus, likely vendor will be Aldi, Lidl, Trader Joe's or Amazon.
May I ask why they have to be decaffeinated?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have drunk little other than herbal teas for over 30 years now. Personally I wouldn't worry about decaffinating as they contain so little any way BUT as you are in the States do read every label carefully as your nation is notorious for adding sugar or sweetners where they aren't needed. Here I like Lidls Lemon and Ginger but last time I was in the US I bought some to find it had added honey ugh!
Some herbal teas are easy to make fresh, a sprig of homegrown mint,a slice of fresh ginger, a slice of lemon, or cold a slice of cucumber