Decaf tea

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hospital doc tells me to stop drinking caffeinated drinks. My main tipple is strong builders tea - don’t drink alcohol or fizzy drinks. Rarely drink coffee. Is there something like builders tea or Irish tea which isn’t caffeinated? I’ve found Sainsbury’s black tea decaf but it doesn’t taste like much to me

Thanks all

D

Deleted Account

Decaf tea doesn’t quite taste like normal tea ... there is a strange after taste which takes some getting used to.
Another problem is the decaffinating process which isn’t very healthy. There are a few possible processes but the common one uses carcinogenic stuff. Clipper decaf tea is the only one I know which does not use this process but it is far from cheap.

I now drink herbal teas most of the time. I know they are not tea and I don’t pretend they are but there is a huge variety available. Strangely, I used to be happy to drink the same tea 4 or 5 times a day every single day. Now I drink 3 or 4 different herbal teas each day and once or twice a week spice it up with a cup of good quality caffeinated black tea.

I very rarely drink other caffeinated drinks. I have never liked coffee. But when I am very tired or have a long day ahead of me, I will have a single glass of coke. As I drink so little caffeine this really perks me up. If I drink a glass of coke at 6pm, I am still buzzing at 1am.

I guess this is a long way of saying I think the options are to either get used to the flavour of decaf tea (and be aware of the side effects) or try to find d something else you like.

M

Member496333

I’m also zero alcohol or fizzy drinks. As per @helensaramay I am quite into naturally caffeine-free herbal teas, but I do like a good cup of coffee with double cream. No experience of decafinated tea but I can well imagine it’s not nice.

Reactions: johnme

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Try Yorkshire Tea decaff. Its the only decaff tea that doesn't taste like its decaff.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Decaf tea doesn’t quite taste like normal tea ... there is a strange after taste which takes some getting used to.
Another problem is the decaffinating process which isn’t very healthy. There are a few possible processes but the common one uses carcinogenic stuff. Clipper decaf tea is the only one I know which does not use this process but it is far from cheap.

I now drink herbal teas most of the time. I know they are not tea and I don’t pretend they are but there is a huge variety available. Strangely, I used to be happy to drink the same tea 4 or 5 times a day every single day. Now I drink 3 or 4 different herbal teas each day and once or twice a week spice it up with a cup of good quality caffeinated black tea.

I very rarely drink other caffeinated drinks. I have never liked coffee. But when I am very tired or have a long day ahead of me, I will have a single glass of coke. As I drink so little caffeine this really perks me up. If I drink a glass of coke at 6pm, I am still buzzing at 1am.

I guess this is a long way of saying I think the options are to either get used to the flavour of decaf tea (and be aware of the side effects) or try to find d something else you like.
Well my drink of choice would be Badoit from a glass bottle but it’s rare in the uk and that nice Mrs May appears to be trying to make it rarer. I may end up being forced onto tisane- at one time I was positively addicted to rosehip and hibiscus. I’ll look into Clipper. Thanks

Reactions: Kim Possible

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Chook about Yorkshire decaff tea. I changed to that a couple of years ago to help with my ventricular ectopic beats. I honestly cannot tell the difference. Even Mr Blue agrees.

Reactions: Barbara93