Defy the Laws of Physics

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I watched, a while back, a TV series claled "the Diet Doctors2, where people were taken on by a doctor and a dietitian and in something like 12 weeks following the low fat diet and exercis eprogramme recommended to them, they emerged 2 - 3 stones lighter. It's taken me a year to lose 2 1/2 stone and I'vee been stuck since July.I still keep to the low carb as witnessed by my BGs. I have dropped Gliclazide from my pharmacopaeia. I walk miles and do loads of exercise. today, I proved that I do defy physics. ( you know the one Calories in= calories out) I tested fasing bg 5.2. ate 4 slices of Polish turkey sausage and drank a cup of tea with a splash of semi-skimmed milk. about 1 carb. I joined my health walk. 1 hour 15 mins of smart walking up and down Thames Valley hillsides. Foregathered with the others in the Goring Village cafe. Drank 1 coffee, milk, no sugar. Got home. I'm doing a week's monitoring this week. Checked BG, 5.3 I didn't think it was high enough for exercise alone to put it up and the small amount of lactose in the milk I wouldn't think is enough to put me up, even that little bit. Energy is created in me. Shall I go off to hide at CERN quickly, before terrorists kidnap me to make a nuclear fast breeder device? :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Surely though Hana ,all the walking activated the muscles sufficiently to make liver produce more glucose to fuel muscles thus putting up BS slightly?

witan

Couldn't that be a positive indication - your exercise encouraged your body to give up some of the stored glucose - so all the carbs you've eaten have been used up plus a bit more :)

Don't know how many times that would have to happen to be noticable in weight reduction though :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I would like the glucose burned up as fuel. I can't even keep warm. I come out of 45 minutes water exercises shivering. they tell us the water temp is 30.5 deg. It feels like ice to me.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Hana,
As well as the others' suggestions, remember that our monitors only give a guideline - they are not 100% accurate, and the difference that you recorded is only a 2% variance - well inside the "margin of error" tolerance for all makes of monitor.

Trinkwasser

I'd say that shows you are under pretty good control, your liver is metering glucose into the blood at about the same rate your muscles are using it, without hypos or huge dumps.

ally5555

hana - if that is the prog i am thinking off it it is not a Dietitian - she is actually a nutr therapist - so she has very limited qualifications.if she did call herslf a dietitan and she isnt could be in hot water!

martinbuchan

My low level exercise at the gym does not change my BS level at all. However, I need fsar less insulin for the nxt 24 hours. That is the key to why exercise helps. A recent lecture by an academic Italian exercise physiologist from UCD, Ireland presented data that more frequent smaller bouts of exercise is better for type 2s.

Also intersting thing was the O2 -max and Fat-max studies. Guys like Chris Hoy will have measured their maximum oxygen consumption and then base their training on 60-80% of this figure. Academically type2s have big defect in fat metabolism in general as well as during exercise. Therefore, type 2s have to train up very slowly to gradually increase the maximum rate of fat burn , otherwise free oxygen species (?aka oxygen free radicals are produced) which are damaging.

ie You types 2s out there going back to exercise- take it easy and build up even slower than you might be advised. Take as many short bouts as often as you can as well.

witan

Hi Martin,

That sounds good advice - but seems to contradict what I just read in Bernstein. (think it was general rather than aimed at T1 or T2)

He recommended anaerobic exercise and advised 'going for the burn' as quickly as possible (safely of course!) so as much of the exercise as possible was done in the anaerobic state then backing off slowly for as long as you could keep going.

That sounded good to me - so now I'm confused again (as usual!)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi MartyB
Is my 3 loads of 1to 1 1/2 hour walks per week and 2 x 45 mins water exercises slow enough? I do walk pretty much everywhere I go. If only to the bus stop. the car must get jealous. It's my last choice of transport usually. i.e. no bus goes there and it's too far to walk in a sensible time, or the shopping is too heavy for an old woman to carry back.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hana, I've been thinking about your weight plateau. I'm sure I could'nt follow your methods but I admire your perseverence. Two thoughts one positive, the other perhaps less.
1) Perhaps you have been losing fat recently but putting on heavier muscle.
2) I'm not certain about the science behind this but is it possible that you are eating too little and have gone into starvation mode?

He recommended anaerobic exercise and advised 'going for the burn' as quickly as possible (safely of course!) so as much of the exercise as possible was done in the anaerobic state then backing off slowly for as long as you could keep going
But how do you do that safely ? I think it sounds contrary to everything I've read about both exercise and diabetes and perhaps dangerous. Moreover why?

1)Aerobic exercise is more likely to reduce BG, anaerobic may increase it. It may also lessen insulin resistance .

2) I understand that unaccustomed anaerobic exercise, may produce excessive rises in blood pressure, cardiac workload, and pressure within the eye (intraocular pressure). Surely a potential recipe for disaster
3) Even quite gentle exercise may actually be anaerobic for people unused to exercise. Hence the several short sessions advice by Martin's physiologist.

I run regularly run 30 miles plus a week and am quite fit. I usually wear a heart rate monitor and most training is at 60-75% but I do a little interval or hill running at a higher heart rate . Even so, as I am 'at risk' because of age and diabetes the cardiologist wouldn't let me attempt to reach max hr on a stress test, ( I asked because I wanted to find out actual max rather than calculated) stopping it at as soon as it reached 90%.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I would love to be able to run, but can't since my stroke. the "bounce" on my left side has gone and if I jog for a short distance, I thud down on that side heavily. In addition, I'm 61 and at least 3 stone overweight still. I am still improving, 5 years after the stroke and walk without a limp and, I was told on my health walk yesterday, that I'm walking in a much more relaxed style. ( So much for those medics who said after the stroke, that you get back what you're getting in about 18 months.)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hana, I think you're doing fantastically with all that walking :D
Sorry, in part 2 of my post I was really questioning the suggestion of anaerobic exercise not your aerobic activity!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Maybe you've just got to your 'ideal' weight Hana.not the weight they say you should be but the weight your body is happy with.|I want to lose some more to get down to the weight I used to be.If I tried for what should be I would look like a stick insect! :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi Sue What's wrong with Stick insects? they have great figures! I would love to get that thin, but I suspect my skin wouldn't fit me any more and I couldn't give it away, like the bags of clothes that went last month.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I'm cold enough at the weight I am now!!Goodness knows what I would feel like if I was thin! :( Anyway I've never been thin.I wouldn't know myself at all. :lol: :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
That's it isn't it? those of uws wo cannot mobilise fat and burn it off as heat!