Dehydrator has arrived

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure yet. All plans went out for f the window
I bought a sous vide immersion, I fancy doing something marinated, done in the sous vide, frozen to be brought out, reheated in the SV to be finished in the pan. Probably try salmon fillets first.

I can see a lot of fun ahead :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure yet. All plans went out for f the window
I bought a sous vide immersion, I fancy doing something marinated, done in the sous vide, frozen to be brought out, reheated in the SV to be finished in the pan. Probably try salmon fillets first.

I can see a lot of fun ahead :)

I wasn't incredibly impressed with the salmon I did. It's such a quick thing to cook, by other means. Pork tenderloin was excellent, as in the sealed bag, it can't dry out during cooking. Steaks and chunky pork chops were good too. Oh, and the gin/vodka infusions.

@bulkbiker does belly pork in the SV, but I like my crackling too much for that.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I adore belly port but the crackling would have to be done in the oven. I thought the salmon might be quick (relatively) still steaks are worth a shot. I will have to do some research. All these new gatdgets and very little time to play!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't incredibly impressed with the salmon I did. It's such a quick thing to cook, by other means. Pork tenderloin was excellent, as in the sealed bag, it can't dry out during cooking. Steaks and chunky pork chops were good too. Oh, and the gin/vodka infusions.

@bulkbiker does belly pork in the SV, but I like my crackling too much for that.
I cut the skin off and almost found a good way to get the cracklin' crackly just need to try a bit harder and not get told off for making a mess of the hob!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I adore belly port but the crackling would have to be done in the oven. I thought the salmon might be quick (relatively) still steaks are worth a shot. I will have to do some research. All these new gatdgets and very little time to play!

Salmon is about 45 minutes, and pork tenderloin was only 1 hour. The temperature varies, depending on how done you want it to be.

I find the Anova app to be great for a times and temps, as it gives severeral options, even though my wand isn't Anova. The Joules app is morer recipe focused.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut the skin off and almost found a good way to get the cracklin' crackly just need to try a bit harder and not get told off for making a mess of the hob!

I do pork scratching in the air fryer. In fact I have a large piece of gammon skin which will crackle magnificently.

Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you leave some meat attached or just do the skin itself?

Just the skin. I like my belly pork roasted low and very slow. I might try it some time. I'll cut a slice off the slab.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Downloaded both apps, will have a look at them tomorrow, many thanks.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have a couple of dehydrators, a plastic one with six trays and a metal one with more flexibility on the size of what you can put in it and the temp.

I tend not to do anything like citric acid, except mandoline or hand cut whatever I am making as thin as possible. Then it dehydrates quicker. Plastic one is quicker than the metal one

Metal one is good for making yoghurt, sausages in casings and stuff like that. With a silicone mesh sheet, it is also good for dehydrating mushrooms that are in season. Usually I de-stem mushrooms and slice the caps thin . The stems I keep separate and slice horizontally and use for broths with dehydrated veggies.
I can see this could become addictive!

@DCUKMod the latest Joule app won't work unless you Bluetooth pair with your immersion heater.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see this could become addictive!

@DCUKMod the latest Joule app won't work unless you Bluetooth pair with your immersion heater.

In the top right hand side of my screen, in white, there is a "Skip" button. I just skip and move on. My phone is set to show me updates as they are available, and unless I'm away from home, or having to work on mobile data, I just keep my apps up to date.

Have a look for that Skip button. I'll cross my fingers for you.

I must admit I use the Annova app much more than Joule. I keep the Joule app because I've got it and my phone has lots of space. Otherwise it doesn't "pay it's way".

Reactions: xfieldok

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okey dokey @xfieldok - What time and temperature did you set for your mushrooms, and did you do them whole or sliced?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I think I'll do a batch tomorrow and see how it goes.
As the thread is kind of gadget related.. tried my heat gun on last night's steak and it worked far better than it had before.. just used the nozzle alone and took a bit longer than I had tried.. crisped up the fat nicely and gave a nice deep brown finish so maybe not such a disaster as I originally thought.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love this thread.I dehydrate my spices from the garden,lots of beef jerky.Love the SV cooking,do a tough roast,here thats called chuck or sirloins.Cook 14 hours or so and its knife tender to cut,amazing!!!! And the vacuum sealer,also nice.I will go one further,I have an electric grain mill that I used to use to grind wheat for breads,now that wheat is out i still grind my own corn meal.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love this thread.I dehydrate my spices from the garden,lots of beef jerky.Love the SV cooking,do a tough roast,here thats called chuck or sirloins.Cook 14 hours or so and its knife tender to cut,amazing!!!! And the vacuum sealer,also nice.I will go one further,I have an electric grain mill that I used to use to grind wheat for breads,now that wheat is out i still grind my own corn meal.
If you're T2 corn should be out too.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're T2 corn should be out too.
Thats interesting.Corn,corn tortillas dont bother my sugar levels at all.Tacos.....no problemo! I eat a lot of corn with meals too.Must be an individual thing.I eat corn maybe 2-3 times a week.

A common meal for me would be fish,beef,pork or chicken,canned corn and canned greenbeans, or corn and spinach,or corn with cauliflower,and a side salad...seems I always have 2 veggies on plate...... my sugars are great 2 hours after.

Hope you are really enjoying your dehydrator,I love ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats interesting.Corn,corn tortillas dont bother my sugar levels at all.Tacos.....no problemo! I eat a lot of corn with meals too.Must be an individual thing.I eat corn maybe 2-3 times a week.

A common meal for me would be fish,beef,pork or chicken,canned corn and canned greenbeans, or corn and spinach,or corn with cauliflower,and a side salad...seems I always have 2 veggies on plate...... my sugars are great 2 hours after.

Hope you are really enjoying your dehydrator,I love ours.

We are all different. You really do have to test to see how you react to any food (or quantity thereof). I can't touch corn unfortunately. Don't try too many different foods at the same time. Taste and test. It is much easier to eliminate foods that are bad for you personally this way.