Dengue Fever

azizdhl

Hi everyone

I visit my doctor a couple of days ago and I was informed that dengue fever would cause a harmful to any diabetic and it may lead to death. Am living in an area where this disease is increasing, so is the doctor claim is true? Even if I go to the hospital immediately? What are the steps that any diabetics must do to prevent any change of getting dengue ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I visit my doctor a couple of days ago and I was informed that dengue fever would cause a harmful to any diabetic and it may lead to death. Am living in an area where this disease is increasing, so is the doctor claim is true? Even if I go to the hospital immediately? What are the steps that any diabetics must do to prevent any change of getting dengue ?

I spent chunks of time, shortly after diagnosis in an area known to have dengue. The discussion, at the time, wihth my doctor was that dengue is exceptionally unpleasant, but rarely fatal, although he did suggest it best not to be bitten, and therefore prevent it.

If I were to be bitten (an dots of bugs liked me in those days), I should keep the bites very clean and not scratch them. Should I have any fevere-like symptoms, I should treat it similarly to influenza. Thankfully I never contracted dengue, to my knowledge.

Like all things, the risks are higher for those with diabetes, particularly where control isn't very good. Should you feel unwell, you should seek medical advice.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi everyone

All you need to know about Dengue Fever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think we’re adversely affected by any illness as our blood sugar rises and requires adjustment.
However, it seems that in dengue areas there are reports of people who suffer DKA having very unfortunate outcomes so it’s vital, should you be unlucky enough to get it, to keep testing and correcting to keep your blood sugars down.
This doesn’t always happen in a hospital regime. IF you’re unlucky, and you may not be!, then if it were me I’d keep an adequate supply of test strips and rapid acting insulin with me all the time.
I’d also try to reduce the likelihood of being used as a restaurant by pesky mosquitoes - I’d use an insect repellent and I’d try to get them out of my immediate environment with window netting, door screens, maybe a bed net, lids on water containers, etc etc.
There’s more advice here.
https://www.fehd.gov.hk/english/pestcontrol/library/mosquito_hosp/hand_hosp.pdf

azizdhl

I think we’re adversely affected by any illness as our blood sugar rises and requires adjustment.
However, it seems that in dengue areas there are reports of people who suffer DKA having very unfortunate outcomes so it’s vital, should you be unlucky enough to get it, to keep testing and correcting to keep your blood sugars down.
This doesn’t always happen in a hospital regime. IF you’re unlucky, and you may not be!, then if it were me I’d keep an adequate supply of test strips and rapid acting insulin with me all the time.
I’d also try to reduce the likelihood of being used as a restaurant by pesky mosquitoes - I’d use an insect repellent and I’d try to get them out of my immediate environment with window netting, door screens, maybe a bed net, lids on water containers, etc etc.
There’s more advice here.
https://www.fehd.gov.hk/english/pestcontrol/library/mosquito_hosp/hand_hosp.pdf

hi thank you so much for your amazing answer
so do you mean that dengue may be danger to us just for its role of increasing bg?
not because dengue role in platelet count?

so if the person maintain his bg in a good area by using bolus insulin, he's gonna be ok?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hi thank you so much for your amazing answer
so do you mean that dengue may be danger to us just for its role of increasing bg?
not because dengue role in platelet count?

so if the person maintain his bg in a good area by using bolus insulin, he's gonna be ok?

I really can’t say that for certain as I’m not a doctor but I saw that DKA increased the likelihood of a bad outcome.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you think you may have dengue then presenting at a hospital ASAP may be a good thing as proper hydration may also be a key to a good outcome? I believe that only a relatively few cases go on to the severe, internal blood loss, state?