Denial of diagnosis...

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this might sound weird. But I often think I’ve been misdiagnosed.
I know I’m new to this only being 2 months in.. but I get days when I think the doctors are wrong. Maybe it’s just denial?
If someone without T1 was to take insulin in the doses I do .. would it cause issues?
I take lantus (17 units pm) and fiasp 12+ units spread over meal times.
I just think that some days I have 2 units and still hypo after breakfast.
I’ve been moved to fiasp and half unit pen, so can get more control ( less hypos), but if my dose is so low.. maybe I’m not T1?
I didn’t take hardly any fast acting while skiing and could burn my breakfast spikes by skiing - this set the seed of doubt (dropped my lantus by 2 clicks when skiing too).

Am I in denial? Would 30+ units of insulin a day wreck someone that wasn’t T1?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It happened to a lot of us when newly diagnosed. It's called the 'honeymoon period' when the pancreas starts producing insulin sporadically. It happened to my son too and went on for weeks where he came off insulin altogether. At the time we thought that maybe the initial diagnosis was wrong. But diabetes as he knows it now did return.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read about the honeymoon period and this is more than likely where I am...
It’s so disconcerting, to be told you need this to live and not be sure in your mind that you do.

Would be interested to know about my insulin and non t1 question tho.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What were the circumstances of the diagnosis? Can you remember the names of any blood tests?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It happened to a lot of us when newly diagnosed. It's called the 'honeymoon period' when the pancreas starts producing insulin sporadically. It happened to my son too and went on for weeks where he came off insulin altogether. At the time we thought that maybe the initial diagnosis was wrong. But diabetes as he knows it now did return.
I worry about the effect of taking the insulin when the pancreas can do it even for a short time. Is it necessary?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read about the honeymoon period and this is more than likely where I am...
It’s so disconcerting, to be told you need this to live and not be sure in your mind that you do.

Your question is hypothetical. Why would a non diabetic person inject 30 units of insulin a day? Of course it would do them harm.

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I know I’m new to this only being 2 months in.. but I get days when I think the doctors are wrong. Maybe it’s just denial?
If someone without T1 was to take insulin in the doses I do .. would it cause issues?
I’ve been moved to fiasp and half unit pen, so can get more control ( less hypos), but if my dose is so low.. maybe I’m not T1?
I didn’t take hardly any fast acting while skiing and could burn my breakfast spikes by skiing - this set the seed of doubt (dropped my lantus by 2 clicks when skiing too).

I don't think it sounds weird. I have the same feeling myself

Reactions: h4kr

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had diminished eyesight, constant thirst, falling asleep every evening- chronic tiredness.
Had a blood test at hospital and had a blood gas of 38 then had a hba1c that was 80.

>> the a&e doctor told me type 2, sent me home. I went back to my gp same day and he got me admitted via the district registrar and made a complaint about the a&e doctor that sent me home.
Perhaps that’s where my seed of doubt has come from.

Last edited:

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worry about the effect of taking the insulin when the pancreas can do it even for a short time. Is it necessary?

But we are testing our blood sugar levels and know what is happening.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I meant was.. that if they WERE wrong and I’m not T1.. this insulin I’m taking .. what would it do to me?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had diminished eyesight, constant thirst, falling asleep every evening- chronic tiredness.
Had a blood test at hospital and had a bg of 30+ then had a hba1c that was 80. Ketones were 3.5 going up.

>> the a&e doctor told me type 2, sent me home. I went back to my gp same day and he got me admitted via the district registrar and made a complaint about the a&e doctor that sent me home.
Perhaps that’s where my seed of doubt has come from.

Not much doubt about your diagnosis then. You presented with ketoacidosis DKA.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypothetical question.. how long can a t1d go without insulin before things start to spiral and go bad?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypothetical question.. how long can a t1d go without insulin before things start to spiral and go bad?

It would vary from person to person. Surely a T1D person would begin to feel unwell and would also take their cue from blood sugar readings.

Perhaps we can have some insight from @Jaylee in this discussion.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there h4kr - I'm not T1, but from what I have read about the honeymoon period, your experiences are pretty common - especially when you throw exercise into the mix.

Have a read around the forum on honeymoon period or have a consultation with Dr Google.

Long may the low doses remain. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
But we are testing our blood sugar levels and know what is happening.
I have to agree somewhat with@h4kr. At a highly emotional time of being diagnosed, if there is/was an element of uncertainty shown by the medical team, it does leave you wondering. I know I am. My DSN told me that they weren't certain what type of diabetes I had so they were"going to treat it aggressively" I am on silly amounts of insulin 3 basal morning and 4 evening and because of almost zero carbs, no bolus for the last 7 days. I think @h4kr that you probably are diabetic but I'm not a doctor. I agree that testing shows a number but not exactly what's happening

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I missed two doses of my Lantus background insulin (I take it morning and night) because I had flu, was alone and felt so ill I forgot, and nearly died of DKA. I wasn’t eating, so didn’t take any Novorapid either. I have the dubious honour of the highest recorded blood sugar on admission (of a patient who survived) at my local hospital at 63mmol, and spent a week in intensive care. I was saved by my seven year old son, who came home from school and called an ambulance.

So about 24 hours in my case! Not one to try at home :hungover:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd certainly be extremely worried for wellbeing, if not life if I were injected with those doses of insulin.

A couple of months ago, I used a virtual device experience to "experience" a hypo (at a Diabetes Conference). When I related the experience to a T1 (who is also a Doctor) there, he suggested it'd be much more realistic to just try one unit of Novorapid, or whatever, bolus insulin.

Somehow I managed to decline the offer and remain in my hypo-free zone!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree somewhat with@h4kr. At a highly emotional time of being diagnosed, if there is/was an element of uncertainty shown by the medical team, it does leave you wondering. I know I am. My DSN told me that they weren't certain what type of diabetes I had so they were"going to treat it aggressively" I am on silly amounts of insulin 3 basal morning and 4 evening and because of almost zero carbs, no bolus for the last 7 days. I think @h4kr that you probably are diabetic but I'm not a doctor. I agree that testing shows a number but not exactly what's happening

All those instant snapshots through the day show the trend. So we do know whether our blood sugar is rising or falling or staying constant.

@h4kr When you are newly diagnosed It is best to discuss your concerns with your diabetic team and to get their reassurance.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

If you were still taking 15 units of Lantus a day while skiing that’s still a reasonable amount of insulin doing its job in the background.
Did you have the antibody blood results back yet?
What foods do you typically eat for breakfast?
How active are you each day?
I’m on less insulin than you, 6 weeks diagnosed, but most definitely Type 1.