Depression

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 17 and I was very depressed at the age of 16 because of some side effects from medication I was taking at the time. Diabetes is like the worst thing ever , it's pretty much stolen my life from me. In the summer holidays it wasn't that bad because I didn't do much, but having to rely on food to stay alive is a horrible feeling. Before I was diabetic the cold didn't effect me that much but now I get sick very easily. I also used to be very fit, my pulse was like 40, but diabetes makes exercising difficult. I'm also ways having hypos which is great fun.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @jamesland214 , welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you're finding your diabetes a struggle. You're in the right place for friendly support. There are many T1s on here, and most of us have experienced the ups and downs that come with it. You aren't alone. There are also plenty of younger t1s around on here. Can you tell us a little about how your regime and how you manage yourself, as you don't need to feed insulin and can do plenty of exercise, as well as reduce hypos. I've won national Tae Kwon Do championships in the past, and there are Rugby players playing for England that have T1, so it's possible.

If you're happy to share, we can try and help you get things back on track a bit.

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jamesland214 , welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you're finding your diabetes a struggle. You're in the right place for friendly support. There are many T1s on here, and most of us have experienced the ups and downs that come with it. You aren't alone. There are also plenty of younger t1s around on here. Can you tell us a little about how your regime and how you manage yourself, as you don't need to feed insulin and can do plenty of exercise, as well as reduce hypos. I've won national Tae Kwon Do championships in the past, and there are Rugby players playing for England that have T1, so it's possible.

If you're happy to share, we can try and help you get things back on track a bit.
Looool I can't do anything physically, even walking can trigger a hypo .

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looool I can't do anything physically, even walking can trigger a hypo .
You'll be very surprised at just how much you're diabetes management can improve, simply by listening to the advice from others on this forum.

I strongly suggest that you provide @tim2000s with a little bit of background information such as insulin regime, insulin types, HbA1c readings, frequency of hypos, etc. You'll be amazed at how much help you'll get:)

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I take novarapid and levemir, I carb count so my novarapid intake varies, I take 18 units of levemir at night. I check my blood sugars four times a day, before a meal and before I go to sleep.

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have hypos like nearly every day, I will always at least have one hypo a week

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jamesland214, do you know roughly how many grams of carbs you eat per day and how much novorapid do you take per 10g of carbs? How much do you weigh also?

I will always at least have one hypo a week

That's actually not too bad... It's accepted to have around 2-3 mild hypos per week. One per day however is a bit much. I'd imagine that you're either taking too much basal insulin, too much bolus - or both. Are your hypos normally after meals?

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jamesland214, do you know roughly how many grams of carbs you eat per day and how much novorapid do you take per 10g of carbs? How much do you weigh also?

That's actually not too bad... It's accepted to have around 2-3 mild hypos per week. One per day however is a bit much. I'd imagine that you're either taking too much basal insulin, too much bolus - or both. Are your hypos normally after meals?
I think my hypos are probably caused by not eating tbh, ive had a problem with binge eating and stuff. Normally there will be quite a large time gap between meals.

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm 5"9/5"10 I'm about 11 stones, I'm not sure how much carbs I eat a day

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think my ratio is like 5 units for 10 grams, but if it's late at night its like 7 units

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my hypos are probably caused by not eating tbh, ive had a problem with binge eating and stuff. Normally there will be quite a large time gap between meals.
I'm sorry to hear that @jamesland214. If your basal is set correctly though, you should find that your BG is stable even when you don't eat. After I had adjusted mine correctly, I could fast for 18 hours with a flat BG profile. You should still eat however, as a regular eating pattern will help you get a good routine going.

I think my ratio is like 5 units for 10 grams, but if it's late at night its like 7 units
That's a LOT of insulin for a T1 your size. You don't have any insulin resistance do you? My ratio is about 1:12 and I'm a few pounds heavier than you and a couple cm shorter. So just to clarify, if you ate a meal with 50g of carbs, you'd be injecting 25u Novorapid?

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear that @jamesland214. If your basal is set correctly though, you should find that your BG is stable even when you don't eat. After I had adjusted mine correctly, I could fast for 18 hours with a flat BG profile. You should still eat however, as a regular eating pattern will help you get a good routine going.

That's a LOT of insulin for a T1 your size. You don't have any insulin resistance do you? My ratio is about 1:12 and I'm a few pounds heavier than you and a couple cm shorter. So just to clarify, if you ate a meal with 50g of carbs, you'd be injecting 25u Novorapid?
Probs yh 25 units , and I'm pretty sure I don't have any insulin resistance

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probs yh 25 units , and I'm pretty sure I don't have any insulin resistance
Taking 25u for 50g of carbohydrate would imply that you are insulin resistant. Are your blood sugars going extremely low after meals? Do you test regularly and know your latest HbA1c result?

How much insulin would you inject for a cheese sandwhich on white bread for example? I'm just trying to make sure that we're not misunderstanding each other. It would seem that you're taking far too much bolus insulin and I feel that this may be the route cause of your frequent hypos...

Do you think your basal insulin is set correctly? Is your morning BG reading roughly the same as your evening one?

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Taking 25u for 50g of carbohydrate would imply that you are insulin resistant. Are your blood sugars going extremely low after meals? Do you test regularly and know your latest HbA1c result?

How much insulin would you inject for a cheese sandwhich on white bread for example? I'm just trying to make sure that we're not misunderstanding each other. It would seem that you're taking far too much bolus insulin and I feel that this may be the route cause of your frequent hypos...

Do you think your basal insulin is set correctly? Is your morning BG reading roughly the same as your evening one?
After meals my blood sugars are fine. I nearly 100% have my hypos if I haven't eaten in a while

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After meals my blood sugars are fine. I nearly 100% have my hypos if I haven't eaten in a while
Okay, if this is the case then you may want to reduce your basal insulin dose. I'd speak with your diabetes team before making any changes though as I feel there are major issues with your insulin ratios.

Would you care to answer the other questions I asked @jamesland214? I can assure you they are relevant...

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, if this is the case then you may want to reduce your basal insulin dose. I'd speak with your diabetes team before making any changes though as I feel there are major issues with your insulin ratios.

Would you care to answer the other questions I asked @jamesland214? I can assure you they are relevant...
Which questions??

Reactions: Quinnie01

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which questions??