Depression

JaaakB95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi..

I'm 21 and suffering from depression and anxiety. As a result of this, I seem to have fallen into a very bad, very dangerous spiral.

I've stopped doing tests, I've stopped taking my insulin regularly. My blood sugar is running dangerously high and has been for the past year or so.

I'm now 5'10" and weigh 8.5 stone. I'm finding it very difficult to be able to get back into a routine and get myself sorted out.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone been in any similar/the same situation?

It would be greatly appreciated because I really am starting to get worried about myself...

Jak B

Last edited:

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JaaakB95 and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, and don't really have anything to offer except that, perhaps, you're experiencing some burn out?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/diabetes-burnout.html

The only thing I have for you is that being aware of your issues is the first step to dealing with them and that you've taken a brave step by posting so honestly on this forum. There will be lots of people who can relate to your feelings and there is support here for you.

Sounds like you're deeply disillusioned with everything right now. I don't know what's available in your area in terms of support, but perhaps your next step might be to contact your GP and have a chat with them about how you're feeling.

Good luck, I'm sending much love your way.

Sock x

Reactions: Prem51

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi..

I'm 21 and suffering from depression and anxiety. As a result of this, I seem to have fallen into a very bad, very dangerous spiral.

I've stopped doing tests, I've stopped taking my insulin regularly. My blood sugar is running dangerously high and has been for the past year or so.

I'm now 5'10" and weigh 8.5 stone. I'm finding it very difficult to be able to get back into a routine and get myself sorted out.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone been in any similar/the same situation?

It would be greatly appreciated because I really am starting to get worried about myself...

Jak B

I suspect many have done similar things ... but muster all the support you can find, despite the fact you'll need some buy in with the process. You're just 21 and write well and straight from the heart and of paramount importance, honesty in the sense you appreciate your position. Don't let T1 control you as deep down, you understand the consequences

Find a way and live for yourself. Be a bloody waste (OK, I'm Australian hence the language) .... if you didn't as you could be anything you wish to be

Embrace all of what you have and stay well ahead of the negatives. Life's rich pageant so reach for it mate

JaaakB95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect many have done similar things ... but muster all the support you can find, despite the fact you'll need some buy in with the process. You're just 21 and write well and straight from the heart and of paramount importance, honesty in the sense you appreciate your position. Don't let T1 control you as deep down, you understand the consequences

Find a way and live for yourself. Be a bloody waste (OK, I'm Australian hence the language) .... if you didn't as you could be anything you wish to be

Embrace all of what you have and stay well ahead of the negatives. Life's rich pageant so reach for it mate

Thank you!

It's amazing to see all of the support and everything on this forum.

It's genuinely inspiring me to take better control of my diabetes and not have it control me.

Jak B

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Jak. The time to thank me (never by the way) is when you have taken this to ground and won the short game. Then just thank yourself. There are a lot of T1s here and @Jaylee is one guy I know pretty well.

"Tread your own path" is a well worn phrase but others can put you on that road :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JaaakB95 ,

Welcome to the forum!

It goes without saying that high BS can be a catalyst & even compound these emotions..
At 21, I was floating in a similar position..
"Routines" change in life. (Pretty much daily for me.)
My advice. Start by engaging with your HCPs. (A bit of a grind I know.) But it helps focus on a healthy D target.
The rest will follow.. It certainly helps with focus on other goals & ambitions in life when the diabetes aspect is relatively steady. (Call it peak performance at optimum efficiency?)

It's a loooong time since I was 21. I've been lucky to do (& still get chances to do) some amazing stuff .

Keep in touch with us on here & let us know how you get on.?

The climb can be arduous. But the view from the summit will be exhilarating!

All the best,

J>

Reactions: Prem51 and JaaakB95

Elisha16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JaaakB95

I'm in such a similar position as you, I've had anxiety and depression for years, I'm 22 and the past year I just had enough with my diabetes. This past month I've really been trying, it's so hard to want to care again and I don't have an answer how to get into a good routine again. But I think it's nice to know you're not the only one, there are so many going through similar things and know what it's like. I think like other people have said seeing your GP is a good thing, it's been my starting point to get help and as you've posted this you're already on a good path. You're not alone :) Wish you all the best :D

JaaakB95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JaaakB95

I'm in such a similar position as you, I've had anxiety and depression for years, I'm 22 and the past year I just had enough with my diabetes. This past month I've really been trying, it's so hard to want to care again and I don't have an answer how to get into a good routine again. But I think it's nice to know you're not the only one, there are so many going through similar things and know what it's like. I think like other people have said seeing your GP is a good thing, it's been my starting point to get help and as you've posted this you're already on a good path. You're not alone :) Wish you all the best :D

I guess I'm just in need of someone to talk to, someone who understands what I'm going through.

I've tried to talk to my friends but, obviously, they find it very hard to relate.

It's so nice that everyone on here is so supportive, and I can't thank everyone enough. But sometimes you just need a little push, you know? You need someone who's there just for a chat, someone who fully understands.

I want to extend my hand to anyone who needs to talk, anyone who just needs reassurance, just speak up. I will do my best to help anyone in need.

Jak B

Poppyeliza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been through this for the past 8 years or so. I know exactl what you're going through. Diabetes Ian much more than just itself and there are so many things associated with it. I have neglected mine for so long but lucky I have no long term issues for now. If you want someone to talk to I am here and that goes for anyone. I'm having a bad day today but I know the importance of speaking to people who understand and don't judge x

Elisha16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I'm just in need of someone to talk to, someone who understands what I'm going through.

I've tried to talk to my friends but, obviously, they find it very hard to relate.

It's so nice that everyone on here is so supportive, and I can't thank everyone enough. But sometimes you just need a little push, you know? You need someone who's there just for a chat, someone who fully understands.

I want to extend my hand to anyone who needs to talk, anyone who just needs reassurance, just speak up. I will do my best to help anyone in need.

Jak B

I completely understand the need to talk to someone that relates. As I've got older I realise how important that is, there's no one I know that has diabetes, but there are a lot of social media accounts with people that have diabetes, instagram is a really great place for that the people are so supportive as they are on here too! I think that is what's given me the push to get better.

That's really kind of you!

gamergurlh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi..

Jak B

Hi @JaaakB95
This is something I'm currently dealing with, for ages I was struggling not doing what I should have been!

It's hard when you fall off the wagon so to speak. For years I couldn't explain to anyone what I was going through because they didn't understand, I felt lost and hopeless for ages. Until I got on the right medication and spoke to my doctors.

I was feeling like a failure because of how out of control I had become but it's just a case of having someone else say it's ok we all have blips but just take it one step at a time because if you try to reach perfection straight away it can mean you find it harder to get where you want/need.

I had many conversations with the diabetic nurses at the hospital just over the phone who would be there to listen and give guidance, their main piece of advice I was given is try to not miss any injections because some insulin is better than none and start testing slowly again starting off at one a day.

I as a joke said I should give myself a reward chart and each day if I achieved my goal for that day it meant I could earn a gold star and then once I'd reach a target I'd set which could be test once a day for a week and if I had done it all week then I could treat myself to something and you know that worked for me! Starting off slowly but building up!

I'm still far from where I need to be but I'm getting better

Sometimes you just need to hear your doing good! Your not failing! Keep it up and just take each day as it comes

If you ever need to hear that I'm here hunny I've been where you are and I'm still fighting daily! Every day is a new challenge so start it like you would a new war setting that days aims!

Hope that helps!! We are all here for you!! X

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been through this for the past 8 years or so. I know exactl what you're going through. Diabetes Ian much more than just itself and there are so many things associated with it. I have neglected mine for so long but lucky I have no long term issues for now. If you want someone to talk to I am here and that goes for anyone. I'm having a bad day today but I know the importance of speaking to people who understand and don't judge x

Never judge.. Just help with a little nudge! :)

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Hello JaaakB95, I also get depression and experienced tremendously crippling anxiety, for me it comes like waves, it comes with its highs and lows, the way i have found dealing with them is when you are on a low you must ride it out to the end, and to be sure it will pass, until the next one. I used to think each low was the end of the world, as they do seem like that, but then it gets better. Life will throw many situations and events at you, they are all challenges to make you wiser and stronger. Try not to trust your emotions too much in the dark periods, they are the great deceivers.

Diabetes also affects the emotional state by disrupting your body's natural biological coping mechanisms, so it is not all in your head, some of it is biological, as diabetics we are up against it from all directions physically and psychologically. The main thing i would encourage you to do is read more on psychology and understand yourself and what is going on within.

One of the many authors on psychology who helped me change my perspective was Viktor Frankl, some quotes can spark a light in a person and change them forever, this one changed me ... "Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time." Part of the struggle is identifying the problem, your post here tells me you have, now you can begin to deal with it. Get up, dust off, start again. gl.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
A lot of it is about perspective and where we are looking from and if we can change that we change ourselves. Below is a poem that helped me.

All Things Pass – Lao-Tzu

All things pass
A sunrise does not last all morning
All things pass
A cloudburst does not last all day
All things pass
Nor a sunset all night
All things pass
What always changes?Earth…sky…thunder…
mountain…water…
wind…fire…lake…
These change
And if these do not last

Do man’s visions last?
Do man’s illusions?

Take things as they come

All things pass

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi..

Jak B

I can relate to this and set out to see if there was anything I could do to change my mental state, For me my depression seemed to be caused by the consumption of artificial sweeteners like diet colas etc. As I was doing research on my own battles (this was years ago now) I stumbled across a couple of case studies of mental depression and artificial sweeteners and decided to cut that out of my diet and routine. After a month of going cold turkey my mental health seemed to return to a healthy normal. I have not touched any artificial sweeteners in nearly 20 years and haven;t been depressed since.

So having said this - you might want to track any recent new habits you have incorporated in your life - see if any of those are contributing to your mental state. It could be like my situation - artificial sweeteners or it could be lack of sleep, could be the effect of prolonged High BGs, even the lack of sunlight/vitamin D if you're a gamer and stay in doors all day.

That's about all I can suggest - Hope you figure it out.

Reactions: JaaakB95