Depression

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I’m sorry to be such a misog but I have been having a bad time recently and have been told I need a kidney biopsy as there’s likely damage to them.

Feet look like elephants feet and it’s coming to summer so I am feeling ultra sad that there will be nothing I can do to make them go down :( has anyone had the same issue? Can it go down with the right medication? seems silly but I’m actually crying while I write this... I think I am in need of speaking to someone about this as I am feeling so low.

Anyone that can cheer my sorry behind up will be a blessed relief xx

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Have you tried low carb diet? My feet were very swollen and in the summer the swelling extended up my calf. The doctor was surprised that I had correctly identified it as excess water. I have reclaimed my ankles by eating low carb and a brisk walk every other day. There was no need for medication and I appreciate the feeling of having to hide your ankles under trousers or with thick tights.
I do hope that you have not damaged your kidneys but it is better to know sooner rather than later, you are more likely to get a transplant than if you are older. If you need help then do speak to your doctor again, or perhaps your employer has a second opinion service that might help. It gets you down to see your feet ballooning but do not despair, it can be sorted out and your doctor is on the case, eliminating the worst case scenario.

Reactions: CrankyKat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I’m sorry to be such a misog but I have been having a bad time recently and have been told I need a kidney biopsy as there’s likely damage to them.

Feet look like elephants feet and it’s coming to summer so I am feeling ultra sad that there will be nothing I can do to make them go down :( has anyone had the same issue? Can it go down with the right medication? seems silly but I’m actually crying while I write this... I think I am in need of speaking to someone about this as I am feeling so low.

Anyone that can cheer my sorry behind up will be a blessed relief xx

Hi there CrankyKat, souns like you'r having a bit of a tough time a the moment.

I'm fortunate, in that thus far my kidneys are fine, so don't have any specific wisdom in that regard. What I will say though is that when we get worried about things, our minds tend to go racing to worst case scenario. It's cruelly natural, and Mother Nature can be cruel.

The upside is you are being tested, and your biopsy will clarify what the picture actually is. Should you need treatment, your team can get cracking on with organising that, and whatever (if anything) is discovered, it's better to know now that wait a bunch of time, and worry over it.

Do you know when you're going to have your biopsy done? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there CrankyKat, souns like you'r having a bit of a tough time a the moment.

I'm fortunate, in that thus far my kidneys are fine, so don't have any specific wisdom in that regard. What I will say though is that when we get worried about things, our minds tend to go racing to worst case scenario. It's cruelly natural, and Mother Nature can be cruel.

The upside is you are being tested, and your biopsy will clarify what the picture actually is. Should you need treatment, your team can get cracking on with organising that, and whatever (if anything) is discovered, it's better to know now that wait a bunch of time, and worry over it.

Do you know when you're going to have your biopsy done? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hey,

Thanks for the response, it’s true your mind has a tendency to run away with you I have anxiety it has not been a great time at the moment as you might think.

Unfortunately I have not yet to get an appointment but when I know You’ll know

Reactions: DCUKMod

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Thanks for the response, it’s true your mind has a tendency to run away with you I have anxiety it has not been a great time at the moment as you might think.

Unfortunately I have not yet to get an appointment but when I know You’ll know

My good old Dad used to say to me to stop worrying about things, because reality was very rarely near as bad as our minds could conjour up. Of course, that's so much easier said than done, but fingers crossed for you.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My good old Dad used to say to me to stop worrying about things, because reality was very rarely near as bad as our minds could conjour up. Of course, that's so much easier said than done, but fingers crossed for you.

Thanks so much... wanna cry again :(

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @CrankyKat I'm sending you big hugs (((((( crankykat )))))))) Please do consider going back to your GP and asking for help if you think it may be depression rather than just a reaction to the bad news. I had really swollen feet, ankles and calves due to the blood pressure medication I was taking and I know how painful it can be! Does it help if you elevate them when sitting? Take care xxxx

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @CrankyKat I'm sending you big hugs (((((( crankykat )))))))) Please do consider going back to your GP and asking for help if you think it may be depression rather than just a reaction to the bad news. I had really swollen feet, ankles and calves due to the blood pressure medication I was taking and I know how painful it can be! Does it help if you elevate them when sitting? Take care xxxx

Hey,

Thanks for the virtual hugs I need it at the moment. I think I am going to go back but I have to admire GP’s are not very good at talking about depression or anxiety in my experience so I’ll see how that goes.

I am also on blood pressure tablets, lostartan 50mg a day and yes they look great when there up! Xxx

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @CrankyKat you can have virtual hugs for today too (((((((CrankyKat))))))))) Maybe it would help if you wrote down how you are feeling and gave that to your GP? I usually write a list of things I want to discuss so that I don't forget. It is important that you get some help. Please feel free to PM me any time you need a chat. I know how lonely depression can be at times.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @CrankyKat sorry to hear your news and trust that you get an appointment soon and the biopsy is done so you can at least know what you are dealing with. Sorry I don't know much of your history but are you on insulin? Is the fluid retention the reason your Doc said what he did about your kidneys or are you having other issues that make him suspect that? Sorry if asking too personal questions, don't answer if I am sounding nosy, as I really am not. There are so many things that could cause edema, it just has me wondering if he has checked out your cardiac status and so forth. (I get extreme edema at times in my ankles and feet from spraining my ankles so many times playing field hockey as a teen/young adult and it really is painful and doesn't make one very excited about summer clothes to be sure!)

I hope that you can get referred to talk to someone or perhaps you can try some self-soothing things for yourself? Do you journal? Put on some music you love, grab a notebook and start writing away, doodling, whatever your mind leads you to do....a soothing soak in the tub.....a walk in a park nearby....lose yourself in a good mystery? Do you have a Cat that you can cuddle up with and listen to him purring?! Do you do any crafts? Maybe time to take up a new one? Things that will give you a bit of a break from the worrying/anxiety for a while? If you live alone, maybe invite some friends over or go out to a movie? I think this winter has been tough on so many people and hopefully a bit of sun will do you good too. Do you have a good friend that you can unload on over a cuppa - sometimes a friend can sense that we are off a bit but not quite sure how to approach the matter and we have to do that....sharing a burden with a good friend makes things less of a burden....

Sending you a big hug trust things will be better than you anticipate. Blessings/L

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @CrankyKat sorry to hear your news and trust that you get an appointment soon and the biopsy is done so you can at least know what you are dealing with. Sorry I don't know much of your history but are you on insulin? Is the fluid retention the reason your Doc said what he did about your kidneys or are you having other issues that make him suspect that? Sorry if asking too personal questions, don't answer if I am sounding nosy, as I really am not. There are so many things that could cause edema, it just has me wondering if he has checked out your cardiac status and so forth. (I get extreme edema at times in my ankles and feet from spraining my ankles so many times playing field hockey as a teen/young adult and it really is painful and doesn't make one very excited about summer clothes to be sure!)

I hope that you can get referred to talk to someone or perhaps you can try some self-soothing things for yourself? Do you journal? Put on some music you love, grab a notebook and start writing away, doodling, whatever your mind leads you to do....a soothing soak in the tub.....a walk in a park nearby....lose yourself in a good mystery? Do you have a Cat that you can cuddle up with and listen to him purring?! Do you do any crafts? Maybe time to take up a new one? Things that will give you a bit of a break from the worrying/anxiety for a while? If you live alone, maybe invite some friends over or go out to a movie? I think this winter has been tough on so many people and hopefully a bit of sun will do you good too. Do you have a good friend that you can unload on over a cuppa - sometimes a friend can sense that we are off a bit but not quite sure how to approach the matter and we have to do that....sharing a burden with a good friend makes things less of a burden....

Sending you a big hug trust things will be better than you anticipate. Blessings/L

Hey, I have hypertension and my blood pressure is usually higher than normal.

I am on insulin and have been for a month but been doing okay just trying to find the right balance can be hard.

I do journal and trying to Start my own blog but sometimes it’s difficult to get what I’m thinking down on paper/computer!

Funnily enough I’m round my besties house at the moment we are about to watch a film so that’s something xxx

Reactions: lindijanice

N.Cross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have kept a diary on and off for the last five years. Write everything down(even if it is just couple of sentences). It helps. You can add photos and drawings too.
Dear Diary........
Did you ever watch Mork and Mindy?
At the end of each episode,Mork explains,what he had learnt or experience that day/week.
Try it. Ten minutes before you switch off the lights, write something .

leahkian

Hi kat i am sorry that you are feeling low at the moment i have had a kidney biopsy its not that bad they numb around the area then get what looks like a gun and it fires in takes a tiny bit of kidney away, the worst part is you have to lie flat on a bed for 3 hours then they raise your head rest up a little bit for another 3 hours.Its worse if they do it around meal times as you cannot sit up to eat!!! Do you work where you are on your feet all day as this can cause your feet to swell and they might be doing the biopsy to see if you are retaining water, which if you are they may give you some water tablets so you get ride of the water. I know how you feel as i have a fungel nail infection on 4 of my toes and the look horrible but i cannot take the medication as i have had a transplant. As you are feeling depressed your GP may give you some tablets or send you to talk about your problems, i have been doing both for about 25 years on and off and the release of talking to someone does help.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi kat i am sorry that you are feeling low at the moment i have had a kidney biopsy its not that bad they numb around the area then get what looks like a gun and it fires in takes a tiny bit of kidney away, the worst part is you have to lie flat on a bed for 3 hours then they raise your head rest up a little bit for another 3 hours.Its worse if they do it around meal times as you cannot sit up to eat!!! Do you work where you are on your feet all day as this can cause your feet to swell and they might be doing the biopsy to see if you are retaining water, which if you are they may give you some water tablets so you get ride of the water. I know how you feel as i have a fungel nail infection on 4 of my toes and the look horrible but i cannot take the medication as i have had a transplant. As you are feeling depressed your GP may give you some tablets or send you to talk about your problems, i have been doing both for about 25 years on and off and the release of talking to someone does help.

Somehow the gun metaphor sounds even scarier :(

The though of having 6 hours in bed really sounds ****! Especially when I’m not comfortable in hospitals :( xx

leahkian

Somehow the gun metaphor sounds even scarier :(

The though of having 6 hours in bed really sounds ****! Especially when I’m not comfortable in hospitals :( xx
Its numb around the area where they do it and the doctor told me to watch the screen so i could see what was happening. Did feel a bit weird a doctor telling you to watch, they normally tell you to look away!!!

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its numb around the area where they do it and the doctor told me to watch the screen so i could see what was happening. Did feel a bit weird a doctor telling you to watch, they normally tell you to look away!!!

Why do they tell you to look at the screen?!!! Xx

leahkian

The only thing i could think of why he has had a transplant this should be a walk in the park. Mind he did ask if i was scared of needles before he injected me, i just looked and said really!!