Depression

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes runs deeply in my family (mother side). Looking back, I think my mom dealt with it in her own way. I don't think she was in any medication. Her illness was not explained - I don't even know what type of diabetes she had.
There were no diabetes-related incidents that I can remember, except that she suffered from high blood pressure, and she had arthritis. She seldom sat down and ate meals with us (now I understand why), she ate at her own time, and she ate small, snack-sized meals.

Growing up, I saw her dancing to music in our living room (and she told me it was her exercise). But I thought she did it to maintain her weight. Later on in her 70's, dancing was also her means to combat her arthritis - and, playing the piano (for her fingers)! She swore that they really helped!

Unfortunately, by the time she was in her 80's, she slipped and broke her hip. I was living overseas then, but from what information I got, that got her into depression.....and she'd lost her will to live. My dad said they found her stash of chocolate bars!

I'm sharing what happened to my mom to bring awareness that depression can be a real threat to us.
People don't always say if they are feeling depressed, and some don't even realize it.
Some folks are alone, some don't have anyone to talk to, and some feel embarrassed to open up about anything even if they had anyone, thus online forums become their means since they are cloaked in anonymity.

Support forums can offer this kind of help. Indeed we are fortunate to live at a time when they are available.