Type 2 DESMOND and low carb?

MissMac

Hey guys,
so I have received my "invite" ( I shall elaborate on the ") to the newly called diabetes management blah blah. I called them to ask whether there would be any information regarding LCHF and support for that, I didn't get a straight answer but apparently one of the DSN is going to call me back.
Has anyone on the LCHF been to this course? I know it is going to run out the normal NHS "eat well" and from the rest of the module sounds like it just going to be more and more...this is what is going to happen to you type talking.
And I say "invite" because I particularly took umbrance at the tone of the letter where it states if I decide not to attend my GP surgery will be informed...no doubt to say how I am non compliant etc etc etc. Have to say..my reaction is somewhat concerning again as I just got angry and defensive (how I felt NOT how I acted on the phone) and it's left me feeling grim again, like I have my head in the sand but I don't...I'm testing and learning more and more about LCHF and my sugars are already sitting in the 6's compared to my original fasting of 15.4 (though I am panicking the meter is wonky as it's read 6.0 both times I have tested today ha ha)
Jules xx

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is almost 2 years since I went on the "Desmond day" and as I hadn't had time to do my research I spent months getting nowhere with the advice we were given until I went low carb. However, they did listen to what people said and they may have updated their advice since I went. Good luck.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I went on 5he Desmond course 2 years ago. Quite frankly I found it a total waste of time. They said to eat carbs and a certain amount of carbs. I have learnt more asking questions on here and reading through posts here.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband refused "Desmond" and, no doubt was marked down as non-compliant, but so what, when along side that note there must be, by now, a whole long string of HbA1c results in the low 30's and not a bit of diabetic medication in sight. Certainly, three years ago, there was no suggestion that Desmond would be advising anything other than "healthy whole grains" with every meal, fortunately we read around the subject and both immediately went low carb. Being non-compliant saved his health.
Sally

MissMac

gggrr for some reason I could not find this post and did not receive notifications to suggest anyone had answered!!! So apologize for my delayed response. Funnily enough though...I got the call from the DSN and had a chat and explained to her that I did not think it was appropriate, that I was FULLY aware of how diabetes happens and more than aware of the risks etc etc. I also pointed out to her that I knew they would be talking about nutrition and the NHS eat well plate and this was not my chosen method and was not what would work for me. I simply told her I was not going to take the space of someone who might need the help more than me. I also asked about the letter and she said it was just a standard letter saying I had declined (why they even referred me when I said no anyway is beyond me but that is just part and parcel of the complete ignorance I faced at my "diabetes clinic") and that it was not a black mark and that if I decided to ever attend in the future then I could do so. I don't think so thank you!!!! I'm not professing to be an expert by any means but I have google and DCUK and through you guys and that I'm doing just ok by myself!!! xxxxx

J-Bee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on a Desmond course today and was clearly told that not eating starchy carbohydrates was unsustainable, so tonight decided to eat some shepherd's pie for dinner with green vegetables. The mash was potato, carrot and swede and was certainly no more than a 1/4 of a plate. My 2 hours after dinner reading is up to 9.4 having been in the 6's and 7's in recent days. They spent a lot of time talking about calories and bad fats and didn't answer many of the questions raised. Why are the NHS giving out bad advice? Back to low carbs tomorrow!!!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sat through 2 days of a DESMOND course about 18 months ago. I mentioned low carb a few times but was overruled and in no uncertain terms told that there was was best.
They did talk about carbs in relation to sugar cubes at one point when they had some food items on a table, but that left even me confused ? I asked what the recommended amount of these "sugar cubes" was in a day and they somehow came up with 21 !
I don't think I was a very popular pupil.:wacky: