DESMOND Content Makeover

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always believe that if you even get one thing out of a course then it was worth going on it so I was looking at how I could fit this in my schedule. It states that I will be provided with honest, up to date, evidence based information about the causes, effects and options for managing my diabetes. Read about the causes, know from other family experiences most of the effects but as I am not on any medications and I am sure they will talk about meds, it may be worth going for this info alone. However if they are still promoting carbs and more carbs as they did with my initial screening appointment, I am not sure that will sit well with me. I was told to eat porridge, haven't had porridge for months but as an experiment decided to try it, my bloods went up from 5.4 to 8.5, - guess I am one of those people who cannot handle it.

What is really putting me off is that it says in the leaflet
"The DESMOND programme is built around group activities, but there will be opportunities for individuals to speak to an Educator on their own if they wish."...

I have attended numerous courses over the years before I retired and above all, I hate group activities. They actually spoil the courses for me because I just get so stressed not knowing what will be asked of me. This is because whilst I am arguably, fairly intelligent, I am very slow to react to things (must be my left handed brain) so I end up playing catch up all the time. The stress is very real and evidential. To give an illustration I was once undertaking a 24 hour Blood Pressure test. Doc said "Everything is ok but whatever happened here?" I looked at the graph and at one point there was this very sharp peak to the top of the chart. It turned out it was a group meeting I attended to discuss a new project we were initiating. As I know it will happen as soon as anyone says can you divide into groups, I am not sure it is worth putting myself under so much stress and possibly negatively impacting my blood sugars particularly as I am trying hard to get them down.

It would be nice if there was a course outline available so that I could see the content beforehand and make a more informed choice.

You could always contact whoever has invited you and explain your situation - in as much detail as you choose.

Personally, I'd not go for the "I want to know what it's all about, in case it's rubbish", but more focus on the fact you've been diagnosed a little while and made some decent progress, and add in the stress elements.

I'm sure nobody would want to cause you any distress.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I always believe that if you even get one thing out of a course then it was worth going on it so I was looking at how I could fit this in my schedule. It states that I will be provided with honest, up to date, evidence based information about the causes, effects and options for managing my diabetes. Read about the causes, know from other family experiences most of the effects but as I am not on any medications and I am sure they will talk about meds, it may be worth going for this info alone. However if they are still promoting carbs and more carbs as they did with my initial screening appointment, I am not sure that will sit well with me. I was told to eat porridge, haven't had porridge for months but as an experiment decided to try it, my bloods went up from 5.4 to 8.5, - guess I am one of those people who cannot handle it.

"The DESMOND programme is built around group activities, but there will be opportunities for individuals to speak to an Educator on their own if they wish."...

I have attended numerous courses over the years before I retired and above all, I hate group activities. They actually spoil the courses for me because I just get so stressed not knowing what will be asked of me. This is because whilst I am arguably, fairly intelligent, I am very slow to react to things (must be my left handed brain) so I end up playing catch up all the time. The stress is very real and evidential. To give an illustration I was once undertaking a 24 hour Blood Pressure test. Doc said "Everything is ok but whatever happened here?" I looked at the graph and at one point there was this very sharp peak to the top of the chart. It turned out it was a group meeting I attended to discuss a new project we were initiating. As I know it will happen as soon as anyone says can you divide into groups, I am not sure it is worth putting myself under so much stress and possibly negatively impacting my blood sugars particularly as I am trying hard to get them down.

It would be nice if there was a course outline available so that I could see the content beforehand and make a more informed choice.

Similar here. Stuff of nightmares for me are phrases like: Turn to the person next to you... or Find a partner...
And the worst one is Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your story. Oh my days! It's not my thing at all.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Well, the chances are that tackling the DESMOND at my local surgery will have little impact on yourself especially if you don’t live in my region, but every little helps.

Tomorrow I am hoping to tackle it full on, under the umbrella of communicating to the patient population in the area I live in.

Reactions: Ryhia

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree totally with Guzzler, definitely stuff of nightmares, although eventually got used to "can you introduce yourself and tell us something about what you do?" as I have participated in so many of them. Of course you never remember peoples names, much better to have name badges

In regards to the DESMOND course, if I were to attend, I would certainly be looking for the positives from the course and you never know it might be informative. It's also a box ticked on my medical records.

As suggested by DCUKMOD I will probably try to contact someone to ask about the content as that might prove useful.

LISTlAD When you attend your PPG meeting, hope you have an opportunity to say everything you want to say and that what you have to say is received well. Hopefully it may make a difference in your area. Our PPC is next month and I have been told if I want to be part of the group all I have to do is attend the next meeting. Its something to think about.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the DESMOND course I attended the group participation just meant there were some discussions and general questions to the group, no role play or "games". I think they just mean it is informal not a lecture.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LISTlAD When you attend your PPG meeting, hope you have an opportunity to say everything you want to say and that what you have to say is received well. Hopefully it may make a difference in your area. Our PPC is next month and I have been told if I want to be part of the group all I have to do is attend the next meeting. Its something to think about.
LOL. The one I went to last week had almost sole focus on care for the elderly in the community. I was the only individual who even mentioned diabetes. But the next meeting is all about diabetes.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it involves sitting in a circle I run away, as fast as I can.

Also, on many occasions I've attended group sessions only to find myself pressured into social involvement that is really unwelcome- for example, at weight watchers years ago I met a very forceful person who practically stalked me, and I still bump into that person in the supermarket, which involves a long conversation during which I have to find excuses not to go round for coffee, etc.

This kind of thing has happened often enough for me to be put off group based training or activities.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
.........for example, at weight watchers years ago I met a very forceful person who practically stalked me, and I still bump into that person in the supermarket, which involves a long conversation during which I have to find excuses not to go round for coffee, etc.

This kind of thing has happened often enough for me to be put off group based training or activities.

:D

LOL. At least on a forum on the internet you can come and go as you please.

I have found when people meet in groups, there is a tendency for the big egos to want to dominate even if it means deviating from the objective. That includes forums.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL. At least on a forum on the internet you can come and go as you please.

I have found when people meet in groups, there is a tendency for the big egos to want to dominate even if it means deviating from the objective. That includes forums.

I don't find forums a problem at all, they are worlds away from face to face interactions. I can hold my own with dominant egos online and face to face but for some reason a certain type of person in local self help type groups often wants some form of attachment that I cannot offer. So far I've swerved DESMOMD for that reason really.

Last edited: