Desmond? Is it too late?

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
Diagnosed end of december 2015, seen nurse twice, BG averaging 5.7mmol, got a call today from the diabetic clinic to say they had a cancelation this thursday, would i like to attend the coarse at such short notice? I said unfortunatly i am stock taking this friday so a day before that is imposible ( i am the manager). I was then told that they will write to me 4 weeks before my coarse ! My question is, is it going to be any help? With this forum, books and the amount of reading online i have done, will i get anything else from attending?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is a difficult question to answer. When I went onto the course it was pitched at the lowest common denominator and it was a big push towards the eat well plate and low GI. My wif and I (she came with me) walked away thinking that I could eat anything and just carry on as before. If you can spare the time then yes go as the low GI food view is worthy and some investigation.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I thought it was worth going to as I went within a week of diagnosis (I got a cancellation place), and I was still in a state of shock and scared, and didn't know what I could eat. It reassured me that it was not inevitable that I would eventually develop complications. And it gave me an understanding of what diabetes is.
The food advice I took away was that I should carry on eating as I had done, but cutting down on sugar, and limiting portion size.
But the best advice was that I should look at this forum, and I have learnt much more and got better advice on here than I did from the course.
I agree with @Andrew Colvin that it is worth going on if you can get the time off work.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem do be doing the right thing at the moment ,this forum,books and the Web ,at the time I attended
Desmond I new nothing and if I had not found this forum and followed Desmonds advice my health would have suffered, don't now how much these courses cost the NHS but as first contact for many diabetics with the system it is a missed chance to do some good ,it stead of more punters of big Pharma

Last edited by a moderator: