Desperately unhappy

Sukaren

Im in a state of utter despair having diabetes....its not the restriction on food that gets to me, I long to be the way I was before this, I find myself sleeping all the time everyone said that when my sugar was under control I would feel so much better, I don't Im weepy, tired and have no interest in life....infact Im really not sure I want to live like this!!!!!!! Im doing everything I should be doing my sugar is between 5.5-5.8 and still I feel awful! Im on antidepressants they were helping me for a while, but not now! The diabetic nurse says there is no reason diabeteswise to feel this way. Im so worried about the future,it seems all I have to look forward to is for the diabetes to get worse as I get older, harder to control, loosing my sight,possibly my limbs, I might aswell die NOW!! whats to look forward to, my life is ruined!!! through no fault of my own, Ive had to take medication for 10yrs since my father died traumaticly, the meds put on weight and that has caused this bloody condition, It was not my lifestyle that caused it,bad diet etc as all the publicity leads you to believe!
Im sorry to go on like this BUT Im desperate and don't know which way to turn, feel like a rabbit in the headlights!!

Cosy

Oh you sound so down. I think it is more than diabeties that is affecting your mood. Are you having psyciatric/physcology help. You need to speak to someone. I know this diabeties is a horrible thing to have to cope with and I have been feeling a bit down the last couple of week regarding it, but I really think you have to find help to get over your depression. Do not give up there is always light at the end of the tunnel it just might take a long time to get through it.

Take care of yourself.

Moreno

Come on buddy, thats not the thought you should be thinking of just because you have diabetes. I think diabetes just makes me want to try harder. Makes me work harder, people always thinking diabetics can't really do any thing. I try to prove them wrong. Keeping your blood sugar under control does help. But its more the way you think about diabetes. Your looking at the bad sides of diabetes, look more at the good side. Prove people they are wrong. prevent what you do not want to happen. But like cosy has said. maybe try something else like theorapy.

ChocFish

Awww Sukaren, that is not good news, being diabetic sucks, you are doing fine though with your bg, you have every reason to be proud of yourself for this.
Tell a bit more about yourself, eg age, working, spare time, does change of weather/seasons/menstruation affect your moods, do you feel kind of stuck in a rut as in nothing exciting happens any more, nothing new for me anywhere, where is my life going, I have no hope, just me and this diabetes? Do you have lots of friends/family supporting you? You think 'is this it now'?

Has this depression come on all of a sudden? You know life is damned hard at times and unfair too, but hang in there, I have had some dark periods in my life where I just didnt see the point of living any more, you know sometimes I felt like a fly against the teacup, I climb up the cup, just as I reach the top something comes and wafts me right away again, grrrr - very frustrating...but you dont have to have complications, look at Sarah Q, she has had diabetes for over 40yrs and no complications, you can lose weight too, you are alive Sukaren, you are breathing, you have a chance :)
Do you feel that you would benefit from counselling, you mention your Dad, bless him, have you considered bereavement counselling, you can still go down that route even if it is 10 years later.
And dont go thinking that you are a failure for feeling like this, you are allowed to feel sorry for yourself, the thing is we need to put our heads together and see what can be done to make you better again, everyone in this forum is right behind you, so dont feel alone.
If you want to send me email its [email protected]

Big,comforting hugs

Love from Karen x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

sugar

Awww,Sukaren, You really do sound down, sending you virtual hugs because it sounds like you need them! I am certainly no expert at all, but I can certainly sympathise with you feeling bad, when all the press things suggest that T2 diabetes is self inflicted, when in so many cases this just isn't true!
Your BG is fantastic! As jkaren says, you should be really proud of this, and there is no need to worry about teh side effect is you keep this up. Sure, we are all getting older, but it really sounds like you are doing a fantastic job!
I agree with your nurse that it doesn't sound liek your diabetes is causing the lethargy, and anything that causes so much disruption to your life needs to be taken seriously. Sometimes medical staff see that you are diabetic..and then everything is because of your diabetes...us diabetics don't get the common cold you know..it is all down to our diabetes;). I would go and get help from the experts. You have your on line friends to support you in any way we can though!

ThinType2

Hi Sukaren

I'm sorry to hear you are so down, I suffered with depression after having my son 10 years ago now and it can be hard to drag yourself out of it.

You need to get to the doctors quick and get some proper help as your levels seem great.

Also if your up to it try a little exercise, I hate it but I always feel much more postive after some, something to do with the 'Pheromones' I am told.

Whenever I am feeling down re my diabetes I think of a friend of mine who is going through her 2nd lot of chemo after having half her stomach chomped out fighting cancer, she is always positive, I do not know how she does it, she will probably not be around next year

I will be

Keep your pecker up

Sukaren

Karen, I can't thank you enough for your reply, made me cry! I feel all the emotions you list, I feel this is my lot! Im 46 and help my husband run his business, well try to, not sure Im much help at the moment tho! Ive had endless councelling re: my dad, all to no avail. I don,t have alot of friends as I have cut myself off from the outside world for 10yrs, some people just don't understand what depression can be like.and I feel the diabetes was the last straw. I have one really close friend but sadly she lives in the US, she is great support but over the miles, my husband and my mother are wonderful but it doe'snt seem to help I feel sooo alone. It was all made worse by one GP she put the fear of god up me re:diabetes,she really upset me.....all because I refused Statins,I just won't take them Ive seen what they can do can have horrendous side effects almost as bad as diabetes its self,she didnt seem to like someone knowing the down side of some medications.
Im rambling on abit here, bet you wish you never asked! Anyway, thanks again Karen, at least someone cares.

God bless and thanks for the hug love,need that!!!!

Su

Sukaren

Other replies came in while I was writing to Karen, I was NOT ignoring other replies. Thank you sooo much, you really are lovely people on here! I hope that one day I can return your kindness.

junieliz

Hi Sukaren, sorry you are feeling down, you must get help, make appointment to see your GP help is out there. When my husband was diagnosed with diabetes I was really worried, how was I going to cope etc found this site and so much information and encouragement. He has been diabetic now for two years and we are still learning. There is always someone to answer queries and offer help and advice. I asked a question only yesterday the answer I got gave me the confidence that I was doing ok, made me feel good. Please ask always someone to help, take care junieliz

ChocFish

Sukaren you have every right to say no to medication, do you have high cholesterol? If so have you tried to reduce it via other means other than medication, eg diet, cutting down fat, taking the good oils, porridge, garlic/onions,wholegrqains, nuts and seeds,exercise are all useful. If you have not consciously made an effort to deal with this issue, maybe you should try and then if this doesnt work speak with your doctor about your worries re statins, maybe there is an alternative, do a google search on how to reduce cholesterol but dont buy expensive supplments that claim to cure everything.
Have you asked for a blood test to check your hormones, maybe you have started the peri-menopause?
I think almost everyone in here has been depressed at one point or another, so you are safe with us, the outside world can be a bit funny, people understand tooth ache and flu, but not depression/anxiety, probably because they have never experienced it before; just thinking would it be worth to contact the Depression Alliance?
It must be very stressful looking after the business and household and all that, do you take time out from it? It doesnt have to be a holiday, just an afternoon or evening maybe, anything to get you out so that you have as change of scenery from your daily routine, it might do your hubby good too, do something new, go line dancing, to the cinema, learn a new skill together, some college courses are just run classes just for an hour once a week, go to the gym, you might feel shy about it, but the people with their perfect bodies have not always been perfect, there is so much fun out there you are lonely, go out and meet new people, think about it, you are depriving us all of the chance of meeting you, getting to know you by hiding away, gosh and think how much you have to offer, I know you are depressed but this is all part of a course of the University of Life, next time you are out someone might say they cant go on, you can jump right in there and offer support, just think all the things that you have experienced equip you to help someone else to feel better?
You are not even old, I hsve to say that because I am the same age as you, hehehehe, but no seriously you have a long life ahead of you yet, so you better do your level best to make some positive, fun changes to your life - do you wear make up? If not start wearing some, try out nail extensions or a new hairstyle, making changes doesnt have to be expensive either. I treated myself to nail extensions, walked out of the salon feeling like a million dollars and then realised I probably will lose a million dollars till I get used to this new talons, try and I might the first month I just couldnt pick up coins, I felt a real idiot and people must have thought I am super rich because I tipped everyone I came across just because I oouldnt handle coins DOH :)

Ok now I have rambled back at you, see I am much better at rambling than you are, nah-de-nah-de-nah-nah-dah

Dont ever worry about rambling on, its not good to bottle things up and its good to do it here, at the same time you are helping yourself as well as others.

Love from me x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Thirsty

Depression's horrible, Sukaren and you have my utmost sympathy. Add chronic illness to the mix and you're in a pit that's very difficult to escape from; I know from experience.

Don't despair though, there is help and hope to be had, although if you're really down it can seem an impossible task to go and find it.

Best of luck to you.

Sukaren

Awwww! I can't thank you enough for your support today....you have all made me feel a little more hopeful. Karen thank you for your very helpful email I have taken it all on board, the thing is I have lost my confidence to go out and mix with people I get very anxious when Im away from home,hubby takes me out on Sundays for a run out but can't wait to get home,I really struggle with the endless doctor appts you know for all the blood tests etc,I seem to live there since the diabetes...its either the nurse you have to see,the doctor or both, do they ever leave you alone for 5 mins? It seems as if there is nothing else in my life except DIABETES!!!!!!!!! I wandered off track here abit I was just going to say that even sitting in the waiting room of the surgery stresses me out,get all panicky,horrible.
In answer to having high cholesterol NO I don't have it high....that particular gp is statin mad! she would put you on statins for an ingrowing toenail,think she must have a financial interest in them or free exotic holidays if she flogs them. Im very distrusting of the medical profession since I was privvy to the mess they made of my father, hence the situation I find myself in today,an emotional wreck! Ohh god,rambling again!!!!

Anyway, I really feel you have all saved me today,I could have run under a bus this morning,thank you for your understanding its much appreciated!!! I could hug you all!!

God bless.

chocoholic

Sukaren,I'm so sorry to hear how you have been feeling but I'm glad you are feeling a little brighter this evening.
I have suffered from bouts of depression in the past and unless you've been there, it's a hard thing for non-sufferers to understand.
It doesn't always happen for obvious reasons either. People can get depressed when to outsiders their lives seem perfect.
I believe my own diabetes was brought on by a doctor's wrong diagnosis of asthma....he put me on a steroid inhaler unnecessarily. Brilliant!
Generally,I really try to be a positive person but life can seem pretty unfair at times. I lost my lovely Dad to Motor Neurone Disease, I have a brother with Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy, my uncle died in a head on car crash, my niece's husband was found dead in bed at the age of 28 from an undiagnosed heart condition....I could list a whole load more things that my family has had to deal with but the point is life sometimes stinks but there <b>is</b> always some good in life.
When the doc. wanted to put me on anti-depressants years ago, I told him I found it more the****utic to walk. I know it sounds daft but if you are able to, have you considered joining a walking group? I joined one. It's run by our local Primary Care Trust.Walking lifts my mood, helps my diabetes control and best of all...it's free!
I am not saying ditch the anti-depressants without your docs. say so but it might be worth some consideration to take up some exercise, as it really can lift your mood.
I wish you well and if you need to chat,please feel free to email me.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sukaren,

I'm really sorry you have been so low, but just opening up to us on here is a help, or at least a start towards your getting better. You are partly right about GPs having a financial interest in statins. It has been commented before in this forum that doctors are targeted to issue as many prescriptions for statins as possible in an attempt to reduce heart disease. To meet the government targets some GPs have even resorted to sending prescriptions for them in the post to patients they have not even checked! As Karen said, you have a right to refuse a treatment, but don't be too hard on your GP - she will be financially penalised if she fails to meet her target.

tenko2004c

Come on Sukaren taking control of your life is more important to your own well being and helping you control this awful disease that inflicts us all here. Try to be positive and not let it get to you. Depression is a killer on it's own and just take note that there are a lot of us sufferers that out here that take every word you say seriously and not ridicule or mock. That's for idiots who don't belong here. So chin up and let's get on with it. As for statins I don't know why I'm on them my last cholesteral count was 3.8?????

Ellen

I am sory you are feeling so depressed. I wonder if some Cognitive Behavourial Therapy or counselling might help you. For CBT on the NHS there is usually a waiting list. You can go private. My son had some due to having a long term illness and it was £40 per hour. I think it costs a bit more now. You have very good control of your sugar, so congrats on that. It's very sad when people have complications due to diabetes and of course the more dramatic ones are reported in the press. There was one in the Daily Mail this week. There are famous, successful people with diabetes - Jasper Carrott and Halle Berry are two that spring to mind. I think there are also some athletes who have it but I am afraid I have no interest in sport so can't recall them. My one GP cheered me up no end by saying that diabetes will knock 7 years off my life! Gloomy so and so. Also new cures are being tested now which will be available in a few years time. I agree the medical appointments seem endless. I am going for a blood test on Friday. Hope you feel less depressed soon.