Dexcom & Acetaminophen (aka Tylenol) Fiasco

Breck Lundin

Sorry to open a new thread but im on the good side of recovering from the worst low I've ever experienced. I dropped to 46 on fingersticks, took 3) while Dexcom G5 (both Dex receiver and xDrip) reported 225! I a whole oxycodone which has just 325mg acetaminophen per dose.

The past week i refrained from taking any of the pain med. I took half last night then the other half about 11am followed by needing the other half an hour later...then about 4the reported number shot up. I took my Novolog as i should. After about 35 or 45 min i got the cold sweats & fuzzy head. I checked at that time and 49 so i ate a bit of honey on half a flour tortilla. then a small glass of OJ.

Going to call Dex in bit when the shakiness i get when i go hypo settles.

No i know my particular G5 device is sensitive to acetaminophen. Bummer as it is working great otherwise.

Just thought i would add a bit of anecdotal data that acetaminophen can very possibly cause inaccurate BG highs.

Not complaining at all. I was very aware of the possibility. I should have verified so this is also a nudge it question reading on your G5 if you take anything with acetaminophen.

EDIT: The dizziness at the low was surely enhanced by the pain med itself as i rarely take more than a half.