Dexcom G4 to G6 upgrade

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

I am about to change from the Dexcom G4 to the G6. I use an Accu-Chec Combo pump.

Currently I check my blood sugar with the pump handset , tell it my carbs & it suggests a bolus.

When I use the G6 and don't prick my fingers before meals to check my blood sugar how do I figure out my insulin dose without using a calculator?

Thanks

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

I am about to change from the Dexcom G4 to the G6. I use an Accu-Chec Combo pump.

Currently I check my blood sugar with the pump handset , tell it my carbs & it suggests a bolus.

When I use the G6 and don't prick my fingers before meals to check my blood sugar how do I figure out my insulin dose without using a calculator?

Thanks

You could investigate using a separate app such as xdrip or mysugr (not sure if that one calculates) or you can continue finger pricking?

D

Deleted Account

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
I believe I need a Bg reading to calculate my insulin dose. You may be happy taking the reading from your DexCom G6 or you may feel more comfortable with a finger prick.
As CGMs are not as accurate as finger pricks, it is recommended to take some old fashioned readings to ensure your CGM readings are accurate enough.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I don't understand your question.
I believe I need a Bg reading to calculate my insulin dose. You may be happy taking the reading from your DexCom G6 or you may feel more comfortable with a finger prick.
As CGMs are not as accurate as finger pricks, it is recommended to take some old fashioned readings to ensure your CGM readings are accurate enough.

The g6 is labelled as not requiring finger tests, its much more accurate than previous versions supposedly. Also it varies a lot person to person -- my CGM (G5) is within 0.5 mmol normally so yes I trust it to bolus from. Example is 5.4 CGM 5.1 finger stick.

D

Deleted Account

The g6 is labelled as not requiring finger tests, its much more accurate than previous versions supposedly. Also it varies a lot person to person -- my CGM (G5) is within 0.5 mmol normally so yes I trust it to bolus from. Example is 5.4 CGM 5.1 finger stick.
That's great news.
Being a bit of a techy, I have cynical tendencies so I would still be checking with finger pricks for peace of mind.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
G6 can be a bit variable, but it's pretty good. My first 12 sensors were brilliant. My last two have been not so brilliant and needed considerably more calibration. Having said that, once calibrated they've been pretty good and I'm generally happy to bolus without blood tests (and I'm also a techy person).

I've been happy to let it run as part of my closed loop with two tests over the course of a ten day sensor when the sensors have been working well.

I believe in the combo handset you can put a manual reading in and bolus off that.

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
G6 can be a bit variable, but it's pretty good. My first 12 sensors were brilliant. My last two have been not so brilliant and needed considerably more calibration. Having said that, once calibrated they've been pretty good and I'm generally happy to bolus without blood tests (and I'm also a techy person).

I've been happy to let it run as part of my closed loop with two tests over the course of a ten day sensor when the sensors have been working well.

I believe in the combo handset you can put a manual reading in and bolus off that.

Many thanks for your reply.

I have tried & can’t find a way of entering a manual BM into the Combo handset – If there was a way to do that it would solve my problem. A separate app seems such a faff – check BM, enter into the app then enter insulin dose into pump.

Is there a ‘secret’ key press order or something like that that would allow a manual BM entry into the Combo?

I have been wondering loads about a closed loop system – my endo has warned me off as I have a DiaPort and he says the settings in a closed loop would not be compatible with IP insulin.

Android APS appeals but I downloaded Android Studio and confused myself!

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many thanks for your reply.

I have tried & can’t find a way of entering a manual BM into the Combo handset – If there was a way to do that it would solve my problem. A separate app seems such a faff – check BM, enter into the app then enter insulin dose into pump.

Is there a ‘secret’ key press order or something like that that would allow a manual BM entry into the Combo?

I have been wondering loads about a closed loop system – my endo has warned me off as I have a DiaPort and he says the settings in a closed loop would not be compatible with IP insulin.

Android APS appeals but I downloaded Android Studio and confused myself!

I would appreciate your thoughts.

@tim2000s will be better to help but I would imagine with an IP port you could make APS work for you, everything is editable as its open source unlike commercial systems.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Maybe not a commercial one, but as long as you had a reasonable estimate for your DIA and peak time with a Diaport, that's completely customisable in AAPS and OpenAPS.