Dexcom G5 in arm??

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just taken delivery of a Dexcom G5. I was a bit reluctant as I had a Dexcom 7 way back and it just would not stay stuck for more than 4 days.
Anyway I’ve taken the plunge.

Does anyone use their arms? I’ve been using a Freestyle Libre with no problems sticking so wondered if my arms would be better than my abdomen?

Thanks
Donna

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes most people find arms are considerably better than mid section (I only ever use arms) - do you know the tips and tricks such as extending sensors?

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife has been using it on her arm for the last 12 months. Has found the results to be more reliable than when it was on her abdomen. Sensors seem to last a little longer too.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always use my arm - the abdomen was painful for me, and I couldn't get as long out of the sensors as I can on my arm. Also, as someone who wears high waisted jeans a lot, there were a few near misses with ripping it off.

I have found it doesn't tend to stick as well as the libre, possible because the 'bandage' area is bigger, so investing in someting to keep it on may also help.

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh that’s great thanks. I know “officially” it’s abdomen only but I’ve seen photos on Instagram of it on Arms.

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes most people find arms are considerably better than mid section (I only ever use arms) - do you know the tips and tricks such as extending sensors?

Is there somewhere I can find out the hints and tips?

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it a problem lying on it in bed? I tend to only sleep on my side so I’d be pressing on it.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it a problem lying on it in bed? I tend to only sleep on my side so I’d be pressing on it.

You can get compression lows but they are obvious. shout if you have questions :)

T1 cgm in the cloud on facebook can be helpful

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IMG_1526488564.507677.jpg

It’s in but those wrinkles could be a problem!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnac1968 . If you google search Funkypumpers. You will find some specially made dexcom patches, these patches go over what you've already got on your arm and provide more, extra adhesion.
Also worth remembering to shave the area you intend to place dexcom. Clean with an alcohol wipe. Apply "skin tac ". All will help to prolong the adhesion of the dexcom.
Good luck. :)