1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dexcom G5 Mobile

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Leeds Lass, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Leeds Lass

Leeds Lass · Well-Known Member

Hello

I need a bit of help with regards to the Dexcom G5 Mobile because it is completely battering my brain

We are looking into getting a G5 for my husband as he has received an email for the transmitter and one sensor for £160, which is good but what would be the running costs after that? It does say that you don't need to purchase a receiver so that's one less thing to worry about.

I see that people are getting more than 7 days out of the sensors which is fab

Also when you place your order how long do they normally take to arrive?

Thanks in advance

2. katmcd

katmcd Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Usually within a week-you can track each stage of the parcels journey.
    I got skintac (about £23) and a roll of rock tape h2o (about £13) in addition to the dexcom sensor and transmitter.
    I use my mobile as the receiver but use xDrip+ rather than official dexcom app. Think the dexcom app limits the life of the grey transmitter to just over 3 months and causes it to switch off. xDrip+ overrides this so it keeps going until the battery actually dies.
    The official line is that a sensor should be replaced after 7 days (so about £200 a month) but I keep mine on 30 days, saving £150.
    I love my G5, wouldn't be without it!

3. CathP

CathP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We use G4 for my 6 year old daughter, so same sensors. We get 2-4 weeks from each sensor. Dexcom are very easy to deal with and delivery is only a couple of days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I have no experience of the G5. However, I have trialled the G4. As with the comments on this thread, many people are able to "restart" the G4 sensor after the designated 7 days.
    I have tried putting mine in many places - stomach, back, arm, ... it is definitely possible to restart it and getting it working for more than the 7 days. However, it has not lasted more than 10 days for me. This is due to the area around the sensor getting "distressed". I don't know why I am more "distressing" than other people but had similar problems with the Libre and have to change my pump after two days otherwise the itchiness gets too much. I always use SkinTac to reduce this (an additional cost).
    I may just be more sensitive or it could be that I have little fat or that I am constantly moving and exercising which means, wherever I put the sensor, it moves around a lot.
    That said, the extra input you get from a CGM is wonderful.
    Just don't do your budgeting based on 30 days per sensor: you may be disappointed.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook