Dexcom G5 Prices Now Revealed!

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Some mullings from

Has the price you pay for the G4 changed? My understanding is that while Dexcom has released the G5 they still need to sell the G4 because pumps such as the Animas Vibe can't work with anything else. So while you may want to upgrade to the G5, I don't believe you will be forced to do so, at least at the present time.

No price change. It's just poor that they are not offering upgrading options as they are to US customers.

The 'share' feature would be very handy but for me the biggest pull is the new algorithm.

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone who's up for the emailing send me a private message with your email and name. The more the better!

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are now paying the price for slow EU slow approval for the Dexcom G5.
Unfortunately they were so slow America approved it first.
America is where almost all sales and money is to be made.
They have no real interest in the small EU market.
What usually happens is the EU is quick at approval and the USA very slow and cautious,
If they got EU approval first they would have been selling them at a reasonable price and getting customer feedback, they then have statistics to show the cautious USA regulator which would strongly supports their case for approval.
The EU after that is an irrelevant side show, they make their money in the USA.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So with stupid pricing, it looks like I will have to stay with the G4 for a while.
The annoying this is that here in the UK we can't even upgrade the G4 to the latest software like the USA.
Time to start checking out what's the next up and coming CGM alternative to Dexcom?
What's the next best alternative!

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been talking to the Dutch distributers and got this:

"We have not finalized our price strategy yet and are not sure if we sell a starterkit. But our local price for the G5 transmitter is 310 euro, including VAT. G5 Receiver is 599 euro."

Thinking if it's substantially cheaper than the uk- a weekend trip to Amsterdam may be on the cards!

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've been talking to the Dutch distributers and got this:

"We have not finalized our price strategy yet and are not sure if we sell a starterkit. But our local price for the G5 transmitter is 310 euro, including VAT. G5 Receiver is 599 euro."

Thinking if it's substantially cheaper than the uk- a weekend trip to Amsterdam may be on the cards!
What's the exchange rate?

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bear in mind that's with VAT. Do they get vat exemption there too? If so that's -20% of £227

Boysie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if that price is what they get it for themselves though or what they will sell to customers for

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought the whole point of G5 was to get rid of the receiver completely and use your phone. According to AT website here: http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/dexcom-g5®-mobile they still sell the receiver because use can use whichever you want (your phone or the receiver). If they allow me to buy the transmitter only, I'm happy to buy it and report back on how long it lasts :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought the whole point of G5 was to get rid of the receiver completely and use your phone. According to AT website here: http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/dexcom-g5®-mobile they still sell the receiver because use can use whichever you want (your phone or the receiver). If they allow me to buy the transmitter only, I'm happy to buy it and report back on how long it lasts :)
My understanding when I spoke with several Dexcom reps was that U.S. laws require the system to be shipped with the receiver in order for it to be considered a medical device (or something to that tune).

I will say that it is nice having the receiver and my phone (but not being required to have both). My receiver sits on my kitchen counter 99% of the time. I use it somewhat like an internet router as it receives a signal throughout most of my apartment. When I'm at work, my phone stays next to me at all times so it's never an issue.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding when I spoke with several Dexcom reps was that U.S. laws require the system to be shipped with the receiver in order for it to be considered a medical device (or something to that tune).

I will say that it is nice having the receiver and my phone (but not being required to have both). My receiver sits on my kitchen counter 99% of the time. I use it somewhat like an internet router as it receives a signal throughout most of my apartment. When I'm at work, my phone stays next to me at all times so it's never an issue.
So you can use both at the same time? From AT website I got an impression that you can only receive data on one device, not on both. If you can have it on both, that would be cool. Otherwise, it would make the receiver useless for me :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So you can use both at the same time? From AT website I got an impression that you can only receive data on one device, not on both. If you can have it on both, that would be cool. Otherwise, it would make the receiver useless for me :)
You can use one, the other, or both.
You can also share your data with other people (although i believe that was already availabe with the g4).
The Dexcom Clarity app also generates a .pdf that is really cool. It's a two page document that shows your average glucose levels over the past 14 days, your estimated a1c, how many manual calibrations you do per day, how often you're out of range, etc.

I'm sure the last two were already available with the G4 system, but it's definitely a feature that makes either system (G4 or G5) worth it.

For example, mine tells me:
Estimated A1C: 5.8
Average Glucose 119 mg/dl (6.6mmol/l)
Average daily calibrations: 3.0
Time in range (80-200): 92.5%
Time High (above 200): 6.4%
Time Low (below 80): 1.1%
Best Glucose day: In range 100% of the day

It also shows a graph that charts trends:
-7am and 7pm are the two peak times in the day for me (around 130-140 mg/dl)
-10am and 5pm are the two lowest times in the day for me (around 90 mg/dl)

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a reply from AT that they only sell receiver + transmitter because of the "FDA ruling"... not sure how FDA rulings have any legal power in Europe..?!
In the diatribe post they say it's possible to update the software on the G4 receiver to G5, but AT said it's only available in the US :(

I don't exactly want to spend £400 on yet another receiver which I'll rarely use :(

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@PaulinaB, I would push back on AT at this point. They need to confirm why the FDA ruling which has no jurisdiction in the UK means that must sell the pieces together.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@PaulinaB, I would push back on AT at this point. They need to confirm why the FDA ruling which has no jurisdiction in the UK means that must sell the pieces together.
Just did exactly that. My guess is: they're trying to make more money and use the FDA ruling as a cover :D I'll let you know what the response will be.