Dexcom G5

jocat44

I have been doing some research on cgm, I have used the libre for over a year now and have been very happy with it. I was started on basal bolus insulin mid Feb and I found out that with the Dexcom G5 someone could see my readings via an app on their iPhone. This appeals to be greatly because I live alone and it would be several hours before mum would realise I had a problem if I could not get to the phone, especially since I've been on insulin with hypos etc. Does anyone have any experience of the G5?
Jo

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the G5 system. Ultimately, I'm very happy with it. Your biggest barrier if you live in the UK (or in the US) will be the cost.

The transmitters alone will run you ~£350 and you need four a year (they shut off automatically at about 3 months). Sensors are the biggest percentage of the cost, but can be minimized depending how long you can make each one last. They're rated to last 1week but some people have gotten them to last as much as 1 month.

I believe Tim had done a breakdown of the costs between the G4 (older system) and Libre which weren't much different in the long run iirc.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

iHs

I am hoping that by the Autumn, no one will turn to using the backdoor route and be able to use the front door