Dexcom G5

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up removing the old opsite (or as much of it that i could, cut around the rest). I reapplied some skin tac to the edges that were peeling and placed the opsite over the adhesive (I cut two 'C's and overlap - good as new!

The shower messes with the readings a little (maybe blood runs better due to warm water) but it settles down very quickly.

I haven't had any discomfort but i will replace this sensor at the weekend just to see how its coped.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Replaced the sensor today! Two weeks and three days. I wanted to switch to the weekend.

Good news it took me 15 minutes to press the needle in versus the hour the first one took.

Following @TorqPenderloin 's advice, i haven't applied any extra dressing aside from the skin tac. The opsite was brilliant stuff but i did notice it trapped water.

I did lose confidence with the last sensor today, before I removed the sensor, I had not long had lunch, and it hovered in the low 4s. Bit later on I felt my knees feel a bit light and my hands weren't steady (i usually get these symptoms around 3.9 - 3.4) so out came the fingerstick, 2.4!! Thats the lowest I have been yet!! I normally feel worse at 3.4 than today at 2.4 - which begs the question, how far out can the finger stick be, both my body and cgm were saying I was higher. I use an freestyle optimum neo. I have applied for a accuchek mobile (mainly due to the fancy finger prick device!).

It is early days so I don't fully understand my body but gut instinct tells me i wasn't that low!

iHs

Re the adhesive.......look at CarbsRok msg about applying skintac to the underneath of the sensor adhesive before laying the sensor on the skin and then pushing the introducer in, that way the adhesive stays stuck for a lot longer.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had mine a couple of months now. I didn't really like the feel of Opsite Flexfilm and have found Rocktape to be more agreeable and stretchy. I use an old sensor as a template then cut a hole a couple of millimetres smaller to hold the sensor on very firmly. Rounding off the corners of the tape definitely reduces it peeling. Two strips of Rocktape at 90 degrees to each other is even more secure. I'm currently using the fetching combo of magenta and 'yellow with biohazard logos'.

I'm trying the back of my arm as an alternate site to my stomach to stop me sleeping on it and triggering the hypo alarm.

Reactions: 2 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Krazy glue (cyanoacrylate) is Super Glue in Blighty (Britain). And widely reported on the internet as being developed to glue US soldiers back together during the Vietnam war.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started my second sensor for its third week... It has been pretty much dead on when compared to finger sticks.

Finally balanced my Lantus with my body's honeymoon period and as a result I have just had two consecutive sleep filled nights! No alarm from the Dexcom in intervals throughout the night.

Now the next issue is getting my nova correct, I always seem to plummet after a meal or stay high for too long. I have had the luxury of not injecting with meals as long as they are up to 50g, but now my lantus is so low (13) i tend to creep a bit more following a non nova meal.

In other news - look at that line from last night! The gap is the sensor restarting in its two hour period.

5891d9215aeeb4d962444f87f80ddb4e.jpg

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up replacing that sensor just a few days after that post, it was definitely a goner, fractured results that did not match the BG meter one bit with wild swings that also didn't match.

I am now on my third sensor nearing the end of its second week. I made the switch to Tegaderm and cover the whole unit. As it stands I think this is far superior to Opsite. Not only does it keep it dry in the shower, it's easier to apply and the thin film helps keep the transmitter/ sensor hugged to my body. The last sensor was almost hanging loose when i came to peel it off, which I think led to its demise.

I have a question, does anyone with a CGM find it reads lower in the morning? I always check and calibrate on waking and its usually a whole 1mmol off, this morning 4.4 vs 5.3.

I wonder if its the body temperature as you sleep? Its 9/10 dead on in the day.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine does read lower in the morning. I believe it's a combination of a few things. When you first wake up you can be a bit dehydrated which can cause inaccurate readings. Plus, your blood circulation may not be as rapid as your heart rate slows down while you sleep (purely speculative on that one. Not sure if that actually affects it).

Unfortunately, this is what happens to mine sometimes (image attached) I have an ultra-firm TempurPedic mattress which is great for my back, but when I roll over on my stomach it causes false (and very scary) readings. The first time it happened, my family received the Share alerts, freaked out, and called the paramedics on me (I've shared the full version of the story on here before).

Side note: the Diabetes Fairy came and delivered a package yesterday.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1459592299.970286.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1459592309.906817.jpg

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin Look at those sweet dual transmitters ;)

I've got a single sensor left so I am doing an order of them soon.

That would make sense actually in regards to the dehydration and heart rate.

I also had a sleep where I rolled on my sensor and it read it the 2s but luckily I didn't have any surprise paramedics just a few texts.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The "lie on the transmitter" syndrome works on xDrip too. Got awoken by the very low alarm due to the same issue...