Dexcom G6 availability under revised guidelines

Tofino

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My diabetes clinic has advised that following changes to guidelines Dexcom G6/ 7 will only be given to T1‘s on a pump. Any one using injections will only be offered Dexcom 1. Has anyone else faced the same restrictions being put in place?

Jess1D

Hi I currently pay for my G7 but due to cost of living I am going to switch to the Dexcom 1- my nurse is sending me the starter kit & emailing docs about having Dexcom one on prescription

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
This is an extract of the current NICE guidelines for use of CGMs -

"Continuous glucose monitoring​

NICE's diagnostics guidance on integrated sensor-augmented pump therapy systems for managing blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes is being updated. The guidance is being updated as a multiple technology appraisal and will assess hybrid closed loop systems.

1.6.10Offer adults with type 1 diabetes a choice of real-time continuous glucose monitoring (rtCGM) or intermittently scanned continuous glucose monitoring (isCGM, commonly referred to as 'flash'), based on their individual preferences, needs, characteristics, and the functionality of the devices available. See box 1 for examples of factors to consider as part of this discussion. [2022]
1.6.11When choosing a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) device:
  • use shared decision making to identify the person's needs and preferences, and offer them an appropriate device
  • if multiple devices meet their needs and preferences, offer the device with the lowest cost. [2022]" My highlights in blue.
Pragmatically, Dexcom are offering the Dexcom 1 to compete head to head with Abbots' Libre 2/3. Also they are hopeful (probably initially the US market) that D1 will also appeal to the very much larger T2 market.

But NICE guidelines are just that - the latest CGM advice was only published last August, most clinics will still be struggling to see how to accommodate more use within their current prescribing budgets, including availability of CGM trained staff to support users, etc - sadly I suspect this will last well into their 2023/4 cycles.

Are you already a Libre/Dexcom user? If yes, what functionality are you worried about if prescribed a Dexcom 1?

<edited for spelling>

ElaineTottey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My diabetes clinic has advised that following changes to guidelines Dexcom G6/ 7 will only be given to T1‘s on a pump. Any one using injections will only be offered Dexcom 1. Has anyone else faced the same restrictions being put in place?
I’m a type1 on a pump ( last 14 yrs) coming up up 50 yrs diagnosis and I’ve been advised whilst the Adult DSN’s would love to arrange DexCom they can’t get the funding agreed. My son however recently and devastatingly diagnosed with type1 has been assigned the DexCom ( pump to follow which is taking way more political negotiation by the DSN’s to the health authorities) Discussed the ‘me’vs ‘child’ scenario with both the DSN & Consulatnt and we universally agreed- once a @type1 hits adult clinic the support & funding just drops off a cliff.

Reactions: oldgreymare