Dexcom G6 Changing Transmitters

jdavis37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started using the Dexcom G6 CGM system about 12 weeks ago and just saw my first transmitter battery warning saying I had 3 weeks of battery life. So I watched all the videos from dexcom showing how to change transmitters. However, in their videos it appears they are assuming the transmitter battery has died (killing the sensor along with it).

So my question is how does one change/pair the new transmitter BEFORE the transmitter in use battery has completely died?

I just changed sensors tonight and in 10 days my transmitter should have about 11 days of life (battery) left. At that point I'll have the option of changing the transmitter than or going another 10 days and wait and see if the battery lasts.

That said, I would prefer my transmitter not die unexpectedly (I have grown very accustomed to having a CGM running). So what are the proper steps to follow when changing transmitters BEFORE the transmitter battery dies.

It would appear that when the sensor expires one has the ability on the phone app and receiver to unpair the existing transmitter. if this is done I assume the dexcom videos will then work. But before assuming figured I would ask! Thx in advance, john

Suzannerenton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi did you get to figure it out ? I too am learning. Wondering how long it could last as I am relying on my son to change it for me in 3 weeks time and he can only make the transmitter change five days later... suzannr

suehumble

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi did you get to figure it out ? I too am learning. Wondering how long it could last as I am relying on my son to change it for me in 3 weeks time and he can only make the transmitter change five days later... suzannr

Hi. I also use Dexcom and changing the transmitter is very easy. The Dexcom will tell you when the transmitter needs changing and the new transmitter will have been sent to you. You throw away the old transmitter only when it tells you to and it has always been when I change my sensor. It’s really easy.

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've also got this question. The transmitter has been erratic the last few days and keeps cutting out for an hour or two at a time.
The OP was how do you change transmitter BEFORE the app or in my case the receiver tells you to?
Please help

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect the operation you would like to do can only be performed in conjunction with Dexcom's technical help desk. That was the only way I was able to get a transmitter restarted after my phone lost the Bluetooth identifier while active.

As far as I understand it, the app will message when a transmitter needs changing, before you install your next sensor and if you are on the subscription model, you'll already have the new transmitter available.

Hope this helps.