1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dexcom G6 - failure you release

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Draco16, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Draco16

Draco16 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi - thought I’d flag a strange situation that I experienced a few days ago. So after applying almost 100 sensors over the past 3 or so years, I had two fail in a row. And very odd / painful failures!

So when attaching the sensor, the applicator remained attached to the sensor. Twice in a row! Each time required the very awkward removal of the sensor - but not being able to hold it properly as the applicator remained attached with the solid needle still fully extended (had not retracted). The adhesive - augmented by skin tac applied - was super sticky, so taking them off was slow and painful.

Now Googling this I’ve found some threads / videos on reddit where people have experienced the same. One tactic is to hit the applicator hard. Repeatedly, until the needle retracts.

I took both off and luckily the third worked. I contacted Dexcom support who are aware of issue. They’ve sent two replacement sensors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it has happened to me once in around 18 months of using G6 s. Quite painful! Dexcom replaced it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same happened here. Never had a problem with the much more intricate G4 but I guess this is what happens occasionally when we try to make life a bit easier:banghead:.
    Full credit to Dexcom and the speed at which replacements arrive.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook