Dexcom G6 Wear When Sunbathing.

Froggychops

I am going on holiday very soon. Apart from the obvious white patch which will result, are there any restrictions or problems from wearing the G6 in direct sunlight?

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Froggychops

Last summer in Greece (low 30s temp) I had a Libre and it didn't get on so well with the sun cream I applied around the edge of the material - it caused it to lift and come off early.

This summer - not in direct sunlight - but the heatwave temperatures did make keeping my Dexcom G5 in place a challenge. I used Tegaderm patches to help.

But whether you use Tegaderm or even the G6 fabric material itself, these may well not be UV resistant in direct sunlight, so be careful in strong sunshine that you don't burn this area of your skin. (So the fact my Libre fell off in Greece may not have been a bad thing, as it meant I could apply suncream everywhere. Though surprising how lost we become without a CGM! So do make sure you take lots of test strips as well).

Froggychops

Hi @Froggychops

Last summer in Greece (low 30s temp) I had a Libre and it didn't get on so well with the sun cream I applied around the edge of the material - it caused it to lift and come off early.

This summer - not in direct sunlight - but the heatwave temperatures did make keeping my Dexcom G5 in place a challenge. I used Tegaderm patches to help.

But whether you use Tegaderm or even the G6 fabric material itself, these may well not be UV resistant in direct sunlight, so be careful in strong sunshine that you don't burn this area of your skin. (So the fact my Libre fell off in Greece may not have been a bad thing, as it meant I could apply suncream everywhere. Though surprising how lost we become without a CGM! So do make sure you take lots of test strips as well).

Hi@draco16

Sound advice thank you. I would never have thought about the fabric not being UV resistant...... could have been a painful experience.

I know what I need to do now......so, off to the sun it is. Many thanks.