Dexcom G6 with Tandem t:slim pump

Dee L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I find confusing is that this guidance refers to children but, in you first post, you said 'My son was diagnosed T1D about 20 months ago, aged 24'. Is this a mistake?
Hi @ElenaP, the advice I copied is I understand for adults Tandem recommend the approved site is abdomen only, but for children (6-17) the approved sites are the abdomen or buttocks. You are right, my son is an adult and he wears the sensor on the abdomen.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ElenaP, the advice I copied is I understand for adults Tandem recommend the approved site is abdomen only, but for children (6-17) the approved sites are the abdomen or buttocks. You are right, my son is an adult and he wears the sensor on the abdomen.
Ok, I think I now understand. Perhaps you are concerned about using back of the arm because:
....'Other sites have not been studied and are not approved'.....

Dee L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, I think I now understand. Perhaps you are concerned about using back of the arm because:
Yes, that is correct. But I think my son is likely to try the back of the arm, after he has tried applying the sensor and leaving for a ew hours before attaching the transmitter. One change at a time!

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The way I get round my abdomen being 'crowded' is that I have Dexcom on my abdomen but stick the Tandem on my upper thigh. But I will try upper arm another time.

Reactions: Dee L

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just adding the support to the use on the Arm, I've been using my arm for various Dexcom versions for over 12 yrs, well before it was formally approved for adults (maybe 5+ yrs ago). I've not had any issues.

Reactions: ElenaP

Dee L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just adding the support to the use on the Arm, I've been using my arm for various Dexcom versions for over 12 yrs, well before it was formally approved for adults (maybe 5+ yrs ago). I've not had any issues.
Thanks, that's helpful.

Dee L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update on the Dexcom G6 initial reading variability. On a sample size of 1 sensor change where the new sensor was applied about 7 hours before the transmitter was moved to new sensor, the Dexcom G6 readings certainly appeared more stable over the first 24 hours. There were considerably less 'wild' swings in glucose readings, and the readings were closer to the BGM readings. My son is definitely going to try this again to see if he gets the same outcome.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No we are in the U.K. The text I copied is on P162, Section 17.1 and it is the fifth Warning heading.
My tslim pump manual P162 is about a completely different topic to this. As I only got my pump in February this year, I'm wondering if the advice got updated.

Was intrigued, so rang Tandem, Dexcom and my nurse at the hospital, and all of them said the back of the upper arm and abdomen are both approved sites for adults in the uk. USA advice is still abdomen only. Hope this helps.

Dee L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My tslim pump manual P162 is about a completely different topic to this. As I only got my pump in February this year, I'm wondering if the advice got updated.

Was intrigued, so rang Tandem, Dexcom and my nurse at the hospital, and all of them said the back of the upper arm and abdomen are both approved sites for adults in the uk. USA advice is still abdomen only. Hope this helps.
That's great news - thank you for doing that for us.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hopeful34