Dexcom - how does it work?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been considering a dexcom and we are in a position now that we could afford to fund it.

But how does it work? Does it just need wifi or a 3G data package to transmit? Do I have to carry the receiver as well as my phone or is the phone the receiver?

Can someone explain it to me very very simply?! It seems very technical but perhaps it isn't really.

D

Deleted Account

There are two Dexcom: the G4 and G5.
I use the G4 because it uses my pump as the receiver.
I assume you are referring to the G5.
This uses Blutooth to transmit the readings to a receiver. The receiver may be a dedicated Dexcom device or your phone (If it is cpmpatible).
There are lots of information on the Dexcom website (www.dexcom.com) including a list of compatible phones.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey @ExtremelyW0rried - the dexcom is very simple. A sensor is stuck into your arm, like the Libre, and it then transmits data realtime, either to a receiver unit (G4 and G5), or to your phone (G5 only). Operating like this it runs offline. No data plan or Wifi is required.

If you are looking to use it with a child who is away from you, the best bet is to use it with a mobile phone and enable the online functionality, which will upload the data to the cloud. You can then use the "Follow" app to see what's going on when they aren't with you.

It's worth reading through the information that @helensaramay has linked to to decide what you want to do.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So does it Bluetooth to the phone if it doesn't need wifi etc? How near does the phone have to be?

For some reason I'm finding it overwhelming even though I've used an insulin pump for years.
I just think it might give me peace of mind at night as I'm here on my own with the children a lot as my husband works away. I don't generally hypo in the night but one of my worries is my children being unable to wake me because I'd gone low in the night and it hadn't woken me.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@ExtremelyW0rried - it depends on what option you go for. If you buy the G5 and only use it with the phone, then yes you need to Bluetooth to the phone, however, if you buy it with the receiver, then you don't need to use the phone.

My phone sits on the bedside table and I've no issues with it dropping signals overnight. The connection remains robust. The question is more whether you want to run it on your phone (which requires less to carry when you're out and about) or buy a receiver.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think I would run it to my phone.
Does the phone have to be in the same room in the house? I usually have it with me if out but will leave it in the other room or upstairs sometimes if in. I guess I'd need it near me to hear the alarms though wouldn't I? Also at night my phone is next to my bed as I use it as an alarm clock and night time is when I think it would be the most benefit.

I've read about people extending the use of the sensors past five -seven days? Do you just restart it as a new sensor? Does it lose reliability?

D

Deleted Account

The distance Blutooth works depends on the transmitter (on the Dexcom) and the receiver (your phone).
The maximum distance Blutooth works is 33ft but if you have walls, etc. in between this could reduce the range.

However, there is no point having an alarm going off in another room when you are about to have a hypo. It would make most sense to have it with you at all times.

You say you have a pump. Depending on which pump you have, you could use the pump as the receiver for a CGM. For example, the Dexcom G4 uses the Animas Vibe as the receiver. As I always have the pump attached to me, it makes sense for me to buy the Dexcom G4 so I don't have the problem of forgetting to carry my phone and/or receiver.
I think there is a different CGM which works with the Medtronic pump.

As for extending the life of the sensor, all I do is restart it when it expires.
However, I find my body rejects the sensor (it doesn't like having foreign bodies stuck in to it) which limits the lifespan of the sensor. Typically, I can get mine to last about 10 days. My last one lasted 17 days and I have read about some people getting theirs to last more than 3 weeks.

@tim2000s mentioned attaching it to your arm. Unlike the Libre, the recommended place for the Dexcom is the belly. Many people use the arm and have no problem. As it is much bulkier than the Libre, I find the arm too obtrusive. But then, I am vain.

The explanations on the Dexcom website are very simple: it is worthwhile having another read armed with the information you have got so far from this thread. Might make more sense now.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s mentioned attaching it to your arm. Unlike the Libre, the recommended place for the Dexcom is the belly. Many people use the arm and have no problem. As it is much bulkier than the Libre, I find the arm too obtrusive. But then, I am vain.
I'd also add that when I attach the dexcom to my belly, I can't get it to stay put for seven days, let alone extend it longer. That's why I use my arm!

And I also like people to see it and ask what it is. It's a good way to start a conversation about T1!

Reactions: Kim Possible