Diabetes 1 and ADHD, anyone have both?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone with both ADHD and Diabetes 1 here? Usually, ADHD meds might treat anxiety/depression from ADHD.

But if the Anxiety/Depression is also caused by Diabetes 1, then it won't too much until you treat the anxiety/depression independently with other meds.

Any insights?

Kimbag73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have both! It’s a nightmare trying to manage my diabetes for me! I take both concerta and an antidepressant called citalopram which works well to manage both adhd and depression.

Reactions: Miriam12345

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as borderline as a 4 year old with a referral when I was 6 - but then I was hospitalised with diabetes, so it never got reassessed, but I am having another referral, as my mental health and illness are completely out of whack. I have never had any treatment or support for ADHD. How do you guys cope?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone with both ADHD and Diabetes 1 here? Usually, ADHD meds might treat anxiety/depression from ADHD.

But if the Anxiety/Depression is also caused by Diabetes 1, then it won't too much until you treat the anxiety/depression independently with other meds.

Any insights?

Hum. I have ADHD, and I get very bad anxiety sometimes, *and* I get extremely anxious sometimes about my T-1 when things go bad. So the two do interact & make each other worse.

On meds, though, I found that both kinds of stimulant - Ritalin/methylphenidate and Lisdexamphetamine - significantly increased my BG levels. And in fact it was obvious that they would, because both of them ramp up the sympathetic nervous system response. My psych. didn’t seem to be aware of this, or very bothered. But I was extremely bothered, & stopped them both.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Howdy,

I am also T1 and ADHD I currently take Concerta XL modified release.
I do get big depressive dips, but still tend to take care of Insulin correctly etc.
Biggest stress is the un interested Bosses at work, they don't get it.
I don't think the Concerta affects my BG Levels but they have a nasty wearing off type side effect.
I was told by a pharmacist, it's quite common to be put on Antidepressants to counteract the ADHD Meds
I did this for a while, but don't like them.
It's a difficult balancing act