mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Just thought I'd post here as not often get great customer service.
Recently diagnosed type 1, phoned car ins today to inform them. Dreading how much extra they would charge. I've read all sorts ranging from admin charge to £100's extra premium. A great guy from Admiral Ins informed me that there will be no extra charge, no admin fee and he even started giving me herbal remedies for diabetes lol !
I don't work for Admiral and have no affinity with them but just thought I'd post in case others are having problems with their ins companies. They said as long as DVLA are happy for me to drive, so are they !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you've informed the DVLA and they're happy to provide you with a licence then they insurance companies are not allowed to charge you extra just for having a medical condition - it's up to the DVLA to impose any restrictions on your driving.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I understand that but I have read quite a few posts where some companies have tried to increase premiums ! Most also charge an admin fee as a minimum. I just thought it was quite rare to not have to pay for anything extra and get some diabetes advice at the same time lol !
We're all quick to moan at unfairness but slow to praise good service. That's the only reason I posted !

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I know its against EEC regulations for insurance companies to charge more for being a diabetic than not being diabetic.

This unfortunately does not apply to all illnesses, for example if you have sleep apnea (not covered by rules) watch the cheaper quotes disapear off the screen of companies offering insurance and watch others raise their premiums. :(

Susiebabs

Actually I found the opposite Pav. My insurance company weren't bothered about my sleep apnoea at all! I've had it since before I could drive and as long as the DVLA passed me as fit to drive with no restrictions on my licence then they weren't really interested at all. They were much more interested in the diabetes but it didn't affect my premiums (in fact mine reduced quite a bit this year miraculously).

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This car insurance is getting a nightmare, mine wearn't bothered about the diabetes or the cateracts (which can now not be seen since the first year they were found) but premiums went through the roof when then sleep apnea was diagnosed, I have to control it by CPAP equipment.

Just get a quote for bike insurance (to see if it was worth buying one), without disclosing the illnesses (as no where on the online form to disclose) the preium was £190 when rang back to disclose and add illnesses it went up to £255. :(

Susiebabs

Ugh that's not great Pav! I use a CPAP too - have for 14 years and it was the one bit of medical equipment that turned my life around (when I didn't even realised that it needed turning - couldn't believe how much I'd got used to being tired just being part of my life till then)!

I wish you joy in your hunt for insurance!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mo1905 said:
I understand that but I have read quite a few posts where some companies have tried to increase premiums ! Most also charge an admin fee as a minimum. I just thought it was quite rare to not have to pay for anything extra and get some diabetes advice at the same time lol !
We're all quick to moan at unfairness but slow to praise good service. That's the only reason I posted !

They certainly load the premiums on life and critical illness policies when you have diabetes due to the cover being assessed on risk, to my knowledge I don't think they do this anymore with car insurance premiums if your otherwise healthy.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mo1905,

Good customer service is what it is all about, I had a similar good deal from a insurance company yesterday.

Glad you were pleased.

I must say that if anyone is replacing their vehicle. do a lot of homework regarding which vehicle gives the best deal for their requirements and insurance groups. Also try to make the change when the old insurance expires to save on extra cost.

Roy. :)

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought Diabetics who took insulin (like myself) automatically had higher premiums?, I was sure of that! lol.

Is that something that's been dropped recently?