Diabetes and chronic pancreatitis anyone ??

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YES!!!!! I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 4 years ago, and have been in hospital more than out, I had 2 pancreatic surgeries (& then 2 bowel surgeries) and I finally had the rest of my rotten pancreas removed in November 2012. Stop the bus, I want to get off.....

sammyk

Sorry to hear that jules. My husband was diagnosed biabetic early last year and then with chronic pancreatitis just before xmas. Hes just been in hospital for a week after a stent he had in feb became dislodged and made him very poorly. We are very new to this and he has lost lots of weight. Did you suffer with weight loss and what helps to regain it. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sammy,
Sorry to hear about your husband. It is hard to find information when it is such a rare thing. Diabetes caused by pancreatitis can be very different, because not only are the insulin cells damaged but also the glugagon ones are too, or in my case totally taken away.
At my worst I only weighed 40kg, it is a slow progress, I'm 50kg now. It is better to eat 6 small meals a day, keep to low fat (does he take Creon for fat digestion?) and definitely NO alcohol.
I am one of the moderators for the PSN, if you haven't found us yet, please visit, there are people with pancreatic diabetes on there and a wealth of information on coping with CP.
Best Wishes
Julie

sammyk

Hi jules
Yes he is on creon but we are quite in the dark as to how much to take per meal so its been a case so far of trial and error. By upping his creon to what he eats and what we think he should take he has this week been starting to gain weight which is a good thing :)
His bs are all over the place most of the time and hes now on insulin 3 times a day. Hes also niw on ensure to help with weight gain. Its very confusing a lot of the time but im sure with the support of people from these groups we will get there :)
Thanks for the reply

sammyk

Something else I dont understand is that most people with cp seem to be in constant pain (my husband is not). Other than when he has a flare up he seems to be ok. Is this normal ?

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sammy,
Not everyone with CP is in constant pain, though the more progressed the damage the more pain seems to occur, I had a constant 'hum' which was permanent, then elevated very high pain levels as my situation worsened - which doesn't happen to everyone, it depends what is causing the pain (stones, cysts, necrosis, inflammation etc.) although we all walk a similar path, the disease is different in everyone, some people go for years without relevant pain.
As for Creon, again it depends on the level of damage, it is trial & error, but you can't overdose (if you take too much the only effect is an itchy rear-end!!) You only take it during eating, depending on the level of fat in the food, you take enough to stop the steattorhea.
I'm new to this site & don't know if I'm allowed to put our website on, but I'll try & see, it is: www.pancreatitis-forum.org.uk
Best Wishes
Julie (if it is any consolation, my BS is all over the place too :) )