Diabetes and coeliac's

Spider85pig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have diagnosed with coeliac's and they say that the two are linked I just would like to know if it is true

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My aunt is t2 and is coelic

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Spider85pig - Both T1 and Coeliac are auto-immune conditions. Annoyingly those with one auto-immune condition and more likely to develop another.

Have you modified your diet and so on? I'm not diagnosed coeliac, but my Endo recommended I adopt the GF lifestyle for other reasons.

Spider85pig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have adapted my diet as much as I can afford but gluten-free is just too expensive I have two kids my son has mental health problems I just can't afford to have a gluten-free full diet

sahib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have diagnosed with coeliac's and they say that the two are linked I just would like to know if it is true
i have diabetis type 1 what carbs do I need to eat every day and what amounts as am sensitive it does not affect my blood sugar levels? please advise sahib dillon

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hello Spider and sahib and welcome
I am type 1 and coeliac.
Spider what country are you in as here in the UK you can get quite a lot of products on prescription bread flour biscuits and crackers to name but a few so that subsidises the extra money you spend on GF products.
However if you stick to good old fashioned fresh food then it shouldn't cost that much extra?
Spend time researching what is GF and adapt and its a pain to begin with but you get into the habit quite quickly.
I don't want to bore you so please feel free to ask any further questions.

Good luck
Tony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Spider85pig hi, I am type 1 and coeliac too., the two can go hand in hand, it's quite common. You could eat fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, cheese, salads, Last night I had, 2 stuffed mushrooms and a chopped up salad, delicious. I find chicken and beef mince very versatile so I make my own, burgers, meatballs, spag bol and I like chilli too. Home made soup made with left over vegetables is so tasty and cheap.
Look out for reduced foods in the supermarkets if money is tight, there are often lots of bargains about.
Good luck :)