Diabetes and depression

zebs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes there's definitely a link! Im constantly depressed because of diabetes because it's taking my life away.... thats probably why I Started drinking.
It was overwhelming for me as well at first and was drinking a lot, although didn't realise it was because of trying to cope with diabetes. The regimentation of the management is so far removed from my natural personality it feels like a struggle just to be. When I'm depressed my energy level is through the floor and that makes it hard to get through the day without the diabetes management. Cutting alcohol down is a good first step as it also makes depression worse but counselling has also helped me, but also an understanding diabetic nurse. Antidepressants helped also when the depression was at its worse. Good luck

Reactions: Prem51
Is there a link between diabetes and depression?
Yes. Read Dr Bernsteins book. He is well over 70 years old Type 1. Amazing sman/engineer/doctor/etc who has done lots to discover, and explain symptoms associated with diabetes. Won't go on and on here, but he is a man who has saved many lives due to his work in Diabetes studies. Depression is not just sulking because of being diagnosed with a serious long term illness, but also related to, and a physical effect of diabetes. As such it can be dealt with by dealing with your diabetes. I am a great believer in his work. Having a 6 monthly visit to the doctor for a bloods check, have your meds reviewed, your feet tickled, and your eyes tested is pointless when used in isolation. It is a confirmation process, not an answer, or cure (type 2) even. Anyway not wishing to start a controversy about the NHS, and the current practices for dealing with diabetes, I would reiterate go to Amazon, and look him up. He lost me 33lb in 8 weeks, changed my miserable daily/hourly mood swings, and I find I am having to be careful about how many tablets I now have to take as my diabetes is getting under control by other methods. Not saying I have won the battle as I am a lazy sod going through the biggest emotional crisis of my life so it is easy to swallow 4 bars of chocolate a day, and eat myself silly, but I have proven to myself his advice is top notch, and can bring me into the 'normal' world of healthiness if I so wish.